In recent years, The State Press has been kind to Sun Devil starting quarterbacks, and with very good reason.

But after statistically the least productive passing season in now-former coach Dirk Koetter's six-year tenure, this publication has offered its share of criticism to Rudy Carpenter, and with very good reason.

But although the sophomore's play has been sporadic this season, Carpenter's fortitude throughout a roller-coaster season must be admired. He's taken hits, both on and off the field, and he kept getting up - unlike the man they call "Tui" down south.

After 12 games, you can describe Carpenter in a lot of ways. Like his former coach, he must be mindful of what he says to the media. But it's obvious Carpenter cares deeply about what happens to his team.

Regardless of his role in the quarterback controversy last August, Carpenter is now an unquestioned leader of the team. And he has done a good job with the role, doing his best to hold the squad together.

It's a role that will become increasingly important in the upcoming year. With the hiring of a new coach, Carpenter must do his best to ensure players don't transfer, quit on a coach that didn't recruit them or become complacent. I wish Carpenter the best.<</p>

Reach the reporter at: Drex1_phx@hotmail.com.

×