Elston scores twice, ASU wins in double overtime

102207-soccer_elston
SIDE STEP: Freshman midfielder Alexandra Elston dribbles the ball past a defender during a game

The ASU women's soccer team split its first Pac-10 road trip of the season, losing to Oregon 1-0 on Friday before coming back to beat Oregon State 2-1 in double overtime on Sunday.

The Sun Devils (9-6-0, 3-1-0 Pac-10) could not extend their Pac-10 winning streak to three games against the Ducks (8-6-1, 1-2-1) on Friday as the Sun Devil offense could not find the back of the net.

The match's only goal came in the 37th minute when Oregon senior forward Tiffany Smith scored from five yards out off a pass from freshman forward Jen Stoltenberg.

"In the first half we were really individualistic," ASU coach Kevin Boyd said. "We did not play well as a team with the ball or without the ball and it allowed the other team to have more of the game than they should have."

The goal was Smith's fourth of the season, which ties her for second on the team.

The score was only the eighth goal given up by ASU sophomore goalkeeper Briana Silvestri all season.

The Sun Devils had seven shots in the second half, but could not get one past Oregon junior goalkeeper Jessie Chatfield.

"We started playing like a team like we've been doing all year [in the second half] and we looked good again," Boyd said. "Our problem was we just didn't find the net. We had plenty of chances, we just didn't put the ball away."

Chatfield made five saves in the game for the Ducks, including three in the second half.

Overall, ASU had 14 shots to the Ducks' 11.

The Sun Devils bounced back against Oregon State (7-7-1, 0-4-0 Pac-10) on Sunday and for the second consecutive week, freshman midfielder Alexandra Elston was the hero in overtime.

In the 104th minute, ASU junior defender Kylla Sjoman took a corner kick which senior defender Lauren Nibblett headed to Elston, who headed into the back of the net for the game-winner and her second goal of the game.

"It was really wet and muddy and sloppy on the field so it was hard to play," Boyd said. "For us to respond to that and comeback and tie up the game, go into overtime and then get an overtime win on the road, I think that's good character."

The Sun Devils were able to escape Corvallis with a win despite being without three of their top offensive threats for most of the game.

Junior forward/midfielder Alissa Oldenkamp, freshman forward Karin Volpe and senior forward Courtney Crane got food poisoning over the weekend and did not start Sunday's game.

Oldenkamp and Volpe played in the second half, but Crane sat out the entire game.

The Beavers jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the sixth minute when senior forward Whitney Goddell scored off a pass from senior forward Jodie Taylor.

That lead would hold until the 65th minute when Elston scored her first goal of the game off assists from Oldenkamp and sophomore defender Rachel Newell to tie the score at one.

"Rachel put a ball into the box and it kind of got knocked back across in a loose ball situation, and Alexandra Elston was there and she just slammed the ball into the goal," Boyd said.

Neither team would be able to capitalize during the rest of regulation or in the first overtime before Elston put away the game winner in double overtime.

The two goals were Elston's second and third of the season and of her career.

The Beavers were also forced to play both overtimes shorthanded as Taylor was issued a red card in the 88th minute.

Silvestri made four saves in the win for the Sun Devils.

Reach the reporter at gina.mizell@asu.edu.

×