Youthful Locker keeping cool despite hype

101107-footballwashington100112
Washington quarterback Jake Locker sets up for a pass earlier this season.

Students brag that he's in their classes, scream in his direction around campus and are envious of his play on the field.

The big man on campus is usually the handsome star quarterback for a school that cares about its football.

Sophomore Jake Locker, standing 6 feet 3 inches, 225 pounds, is just that for the University of Washington.

He's already being compared to Husky great and NFL veteran Mark Brunell.

But as a young player, and despite his size, he's also still the little man on campus.

Either he says all the right things and is humble, or hides a confidence, knowing what onlookers are saying about his skills.

This past summer was crucial in pushing Locker into the fray, though the young signal-caller didn't need much pushing.

It all began with showing up, staying late, and challenging teammates during 7-on-7 drills, according to a teammate.

"He's got that natural leadership ability," said senior defensive end Greyson Gunheim. "He showed that he wasn't afraid to get after guys."

Locker said he knew he had to pay his dues if he wanted to gain respect in the locker room.

"I think leadership is something you earn," he said. "You can't ask for it."

Undeniably though, part of being a leader is being a great player: One must demand attention with their play before he can demand more out of the play of teammates.

Talent, and the attention it brings, is something Locker has gotten used to.

And what garners Locker so much acclaim recently is his ability to make defenders miss on the run.

He has only one less rushing attempt than the Huskies' starting tailback senior Louis Rankin, but still leads the team in yards gained on the ground with 411.

Locker also leads UW in rushing touchdowns with five.

Despite having a strong arm, it's his throwing that holds Locker back.

He has completed just 52 percent of his passes and has one more interception — seven — than he does passing touchdowns.

Only Locker would be "thankful" to have struggled throwing the rock against Boise State, Ohio State, UCLA and USC so early in his college career.

"I was thankful to start like that, playing against some of the toughest defenses in the country," Locker said.

"You got to go out there and earn everything you get. This is college football."

And college football can greet someone different ways on different Saturdays: Locker threw three interceptions against OSU but four touchdowns against UCLA.

Such inconsistency is to be expected, but one mark of regularity for Locker is his ability to make defenses question their own schemes.

If anyone will be selling how-to video tapes on limiting Locker, it's none other than USC, who barely escaped UW Sept. 29, 27-24.

The Trojans focused all their defensive energy squarely on Locker, who as a result threw an interception into the hands of a linebacker that ended UW's first drive at the USC 8-yard line.

As the game progressed, a national audience saw who Locker is – not who he might become down the road.

Perhaps a part of UW's offensive struggles in the present reside with the excitable quarterback.

The Huskies average 27 points per game, scored on 332 yards per game, while their next opponent, ASU, averages 37 points on 423 yards per game.

A lack of production isn't something Locker will blame on youth.

"We're focused on winning games," he said, "No matter how old or young we are."

Unfortunately for the rest of Pac-10, this big and little man on campus will be enrolled in class a little while longer.

Though the winning will likely increase when Locker learns to use the dual threat of his legs and arm, he said worrying too much about what could be instead of what is can be unfair to himself and the team.

As if he was reading off of a motivational poster featuring a serene pond, a confident Locker said, "Focusing on the future clouds your view of the present."

"I don't know about pressure," he said. "I'm not trying to fulfill other people's dreams and aspirations of me. I'm trying to fulfill my own."

Reach the reporter at apentis@asu.edu.

×