Opinions: Do ASU students STOP on the term "Go Green?"

As a semi-typical ASU student, I don't consider myself to be a total "tree hugger," or "hippie," but I can't help but to adapt my lifestyle slightly to help the environment.

I find myself living in a state of disbelief over how lazy people can be toward the environment. While I may not wear all hemp, indulge myself in all organic vegan food, or be referred to by the name Ocean, I do see the importance of living a lifestyle that is environmentally aware and cautious.

It seems like common sense as students to see that we are destroying our earth at a rate, which it cannot sustain itself. I cannot help but ask myself, are people simply OK with that idea? And if we aren't OK with the decay of our planet why don't we get off our asses and do something? Is it enough to stop on the acceptance of the term "GO GREEN?"

From my prior education, 'go' is a verb, and in this context it is also a call to action to do something. Although the word 'green' can be vague in describing what is meant in the phrase "Go Green," as an individual you can figure it out and interpret it whatever way you want.

If you are still confused by how you can "Go Green," The Service Learning Program at ASU on Environmental Sustainability is making it easier on you. We, as a class. see the importance of making our campus more sustainable, and are choosing to do so by the emphasizing the wonderful act of recycling on campus. Whereas the incredibly hard workers at ASU recycling spend everyday trying to make a great impact by making it so there is a highly functional recycling program on campus, we feel many people may not be aware of this program's existence and of just how easy it is to recycle on campus.

As a class we have come to the conclusions that many students don't recycle because they do not know where the recycling bins are, and they don't know what is or isn't recyclable at ASU. Therefore, on Thursday November 15, (which is National Recycling Day) from 11a.m.-1 p.m., we are going to show you the answers to those problems. We will have an event outside the MU next to Einstein's, where we will be "Rolling in the Green," with answers on all the questions you may have, or support you have for our purpose. There will be green balloons flying high above the recycling bins all around campus, to show you that these bins are there, and they are hungry and waiting to eat some recyclables! If you are confused on what is and isn't recyclable on campus, we will also have information on what you can and can't recycle on campus and in the community.

So there it is ASU, an easy way to show that this campus is simply not going to stop on GO GREEN. Just hold on to that Starbucks cup on Thursday and gravitate yourself toward the green balloons. Go there and put that cup in the recycling bin! I am telling you it will be a truly life changing, possible epiphany in the making, experience. The simple act of recycling can make a great impact on our earth and community and you don't have to be a tree hugger to see the importance and act on it! That one plastic cup can save enough energy to power your TV for an entire ASU football game where we are going to beat USC, or three episodes of "Americans Next Top Model," and we all at least can agree on the importance of those!

Reach the reporter at: krista.norsworthy@asu.edu.

×