ASU investigates baseball allegations

022708-baseball_cmyk_new
STORMING START: The ASU baseball team, whose season began barely a week ago, is being accused of cheating by a former player.

ASU's No. 1-ranked baseball program is at the center of an internal investigation into allegations including academic fraud and recruiting violations made by a former team employee.

The University's probe has been active since January and ASU obtained the legal counsel of Ice Miller, ASU spokeswoman Terri Shafer said.

The Indianapolis-based firm is investigating the possible violations, but declined to comment, citing client privacy.

Shafer said former Sun Devil baseball employee and player Mikel Moreno is the source of the allegations.

Moreno served as a graduate manager under coach Pat Murphy in 2007 before leaving the program. He also played for the Sun Devils from 1995-98, which included an appearance in the College World Series during his senior season.

Improper use of training facilities at Athletes' Performance in Tempe and potential violations relating to players working for Murphy's non-profit organization, PTM Programs for Youth, are also being examined.

"The Pac-10 Conference is self-policing," Shafer said. "If we find cause as a result of the investigation, then we will contact the NCAA."

ASU Vice President of Public Affairs Virgil Renzulli said he expects a report to be released at the investigation's conclusion because the matter has reached public attention, but he declined to offer further detail.

"Allegations have been made," he said. "That doesn't mean they have been proven.

"We take these things very seriously, and we will be very thorough. No assumptions can be made."

Murphy, now in his 14th season of coaching at ASU, said in a statement Tuesday, "We strive to the highest standards in our program. Any investigation of any program in Division I may show minor hiccups from time to time, none with intent or adding any advantage, and most of which would be clerical or administrative error.

"I support the University and athletic department in doing their due diligence. They are right in looking into any and all accusations. You will clearly see what we are all about. My only fear is people won't notice or remember the result. Too often investigation means we did something wrong and that's not the case. I hope people pay attention and look for the final outcome."

ASU's athletics department declined to offer further information, saying, "No one can comment while the internal review is still ongoing."

The on-again, off-again eligibility of sophomore two-way player Jason Jarvis is tied to the investigation. Jarvis was temporarily cleared to play in each of ASU's previous two games after sitting out the season opener.

The Sun Devils swept their weekend series at the DeMarini Invitational, topping nationally-ranked Vanderbilt and Oregon State.

"This team has had to deal with a lot of adversity in the last month, and I'll just leave it at that," Murphy said after ASU's opening night victory over Miami (Ohio) on Feb. 22.

The Associated Press contributed to this article.

Reach the reporter at: apentis@asu.edu.

×