Gas prices leave students fuming

030608-graphic
Graphic by Spencer Hollady

With gasoline prices soaring, students could face all-time records as they fill up for spring break.

As of Wednesday, regular gasoline was selling at a nationwide average of $3.18 per gallon, while the Arizona average was $3.10, up from $2.65 in September, according to automobile association AAA.

The increases come as the economy continues to slump and worldwide demand for oil continues to rise.

With oil prices hitting a record $104 a barrel Wednesday, gas prices could rise even higher, said economics professor Stephen Happel.

"It seems to me, with the weak dollar, that it does not bode well for falling oil prices," Happel said. "There is tremendous worldwide demand right now and where is it going to fall? It's hard to think of any place like that [won't have a demand for oil] right now."

The U.S. buys a substantial amount of oil from Venezuela, which might be going to war with Colombia, possibly leading to another boost in oil prices, Happel added.

The statewide record-high price of regular unleaded gasoline is $3.13 per gallon on average. AAA Arizona spokeswoman Linda Gorman said she isn't sure if gas prices will continue to increase as rapidly as they have recently, but she is certain the state will beat the all-time record soon.

"It's definitely going to increase," Gorman said. "I don't know about how high the rate will keep increasing or how fast. We are going to have to wait and see."

Diesel prices are also setting new records daily, not just in Arizona, but also nationally. The current average for diesel gasoline is at a record-high $3.70 nationally and $3.67 in Arizona, according to AAA.

Gorman said the high cost of oil is contributing to the rapid increase in gas prices, along with refinery maintenance and the approach of summertime.

For students, the increase couldn't come at a worse time, as some are either preparing to travel out of state for spring break or are planning their summer vacations.

Happel said he thinks the high gas prices will cause students to use more fuel-efficient cars and walk or ride their bikes more to get around.

Classical jazz performance sophomore John Sims said the increase in gas prices has made it harder for him financially.

"I don't have a fixed income, so it sucks," Sims said while pumping gas into his 1995 Chevrolet Cavalier at the Chevron station on Rural Road and Apache Boulevard. "I could see it becoming $5 [a gallon], and then I will have to find a new way to get around. I try not to use air conditioning as much to save money on gas."

But engineering senior Zack Campbell said he isn't affected as greatly by the increases because he bought his motorcycle a couple years ago when gas prices first started rising.

"I don't care really," he said. "It only changes my tank by about 40 to 50 cents. It isn't really a big concern of mine."

Reach the reporter at: ryan.calhoun@asu.edu.

×