From Hayden Lawn to the National Mall

Last October political science and human communication junior Chris Gast started applying for summer internships.

About 50 applications later, he was offered a position at the U.S. Department of Transportation as one of ASU’s 15 Capital Scholars.

“It was the first offer I got,” Gast said, “and I thought it was the best for my experience.”

Every summer since 1998, up to 25 undergraduate students have had the opportunity go to Washington D.C. to work in Congress, federal agencies, advocacy groups, the media, nonprofit organizations, think tanks and policy research groups, according to the program’s Web site.

This year’s group arrived in Washington D.C. on May 25 and started working June 2, Gast said.

The internship offers more than just class credit and a living stipend, Gast said; he is also networking with ASU alumni in Washington and meeting national lawmakers.

“Out of every internship I applied for, it probably has the best compensation package of any of them,” Gast said. “It’s not the best pay, but it’s the best overall deal.”

And unlike the stereotypical big-time internships, Gast said he isn’t just answering phones and making copies. He’s working with the transportation department on projects like an updated 911 emergency system that implements new technology like text messaging and instant messaging.

Gast said he works up to five different projects a day.

“I will bounce around, and I really have to be able to change hats quickly,” he said. “Every day is dynamic.”

Gast said his internship in Washington is a stepping-stone to a job in the public sector down the road.

“I am considering a government job. What that is, I don’t know,” he said. “One day I would actually like to be a lawmaker, but I don’t know what path I’m going to take to get there.”

Gast said the internship is not just an advancement of his career, but of himself.

“I’m taking myself farther,” he said. “I’m able to explore new things and get outside of research and words and get into practice — getting your hands in the dirt, if you will.”

Though Gast has taken nine political science courses, he said his education couldn’t have prepared him for his position at the transportation department.

“I walked up to this internship thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, this is transportation. I’m political science,’ ” he said. “I have learned so much and even if I were to do it all over again, I don’t think I could have prepared for it. It’s so unique.”

Political science junior Kasey Stevens heard about the Capital Scholars program during a politics and film class with Richard Herrera, the program’s director.

She said she signed up for a spot right away.

“I have always been interested in government and I knew I really wanted to see something that I want to do in the future,” she said. “Being able to go to nation’s capitol and intern is a huge draw.”

Stevens has been working on Capitol Hill fundraising for members of Congress. Her primary responsibility is to invite labor unions, financial institutions and lobbyists — among others — to events hosted by her company’s clients.

The sociology minor also works on research for her clients, and the things she’s learned at ASU are helping.

“[One of my biggest strengths is] being able to do research quickly,” she said. “I think my boss always underestimates how fast I can research.”

Occasional breakfasts hosted by congress members give Stevens the opportunity to network with others in the public sector.

“Mostly I’ve just been learning a lot,” she said.

Stevens said she will miss Washington once she leaves on August 1.

“It’s been the time of my life,” she said. “I’m so glad I took part in this. It’s such a great opportunity.”

Reach the reporter at allison.denny@asu.edu.

×