Bravo to letter writers. We got a few letters to the editor this week, and we’re hungry for more because these opinion pages look a lot better when your opinions are printed alongside those of our columnists. Send your thoughts our way by e-mailing letters.editor@asu.edu.

Boo to gangs for keeping our professors busy. Let’s hope that criminology professor Scott Decker’s method for combating gangs works, so that we can focus our effort on other problems.

Bravo to body art. We enjoyed reading stories behind student and faculty tattoos in this week’s State Press Magazine and hearing the tattooed speak for themselves in the multimedia slideshow on asuwebdevil.com.

Bravo to the new Web Devil. We were impressed enough with how the new site makes State Press stories look so good, and we were really bowled over by the multimedia stories that have started popping up.

Boo to top-college lists. ASU is on the up-and-up when it comes to national rankings, but we still think our fair University is a bit undervalued. For instance, we’d like to see U.S. News & World Report assign a few extra credit points for creativity. Seriously, what other academic institution builds a giant air-conditioned marshmallow over its football practice field?

Bravo to the increase in students and faculty buying motorcycle parking permits. We’re glad so many people are going that extra mile to spend less on gas, and let’s face it — having more bikers on campus can only help our street cred.

Bravo to Labor Day. One week of school was about all we could take before needing some serious R & R, and luckily, the academic calendar obliged our feeble request. The State Press observes University holidays, so don’t look for us around campus Monday. We’ll be back — all sunburned and with sand in places we didn’t think sand could go — bright and early Tuesday morning.

Boo to the new class start times. Sure, having Tempe campus classes start at 15 or 40 minutes after the hour was quirky. Yes, we understand that it didn’t synch up well with other campuses’ schedules. But at least it was predictable. Having our classes start all around the clock this week has really thrown us for a loop. Our proposed solution is to — oh, sorry, gotta run; we’re late to our 10:17 geology lab... or did that start at 9:52?

×