Chad Campbell: District 14 Candidate

Age: 35

Party: Democrat

Occupation: Legislator/Consultant

Why are you running for office/re-election?

I believe strongly in giving back to the community. I am a Phoenix native, and I grew up in my district, so I am committed to making it a better place.

What experience qualifies you for the position?

In my first term I established myself as a leader who took on important issues. I worked on protecting Clean Elections, reforming the small dollar loan industry, increased university funding, promoting renewable energy development and cracking down on gang and graffiti crimes. I believe I represent the concerns and values of my district, and I have the experience to get the job done. In my first term I was recognized as a “Hometown Hero” by the City of Phoenix, the Early Literacy Leader of the Year by Reach Out and Read Arizona, one of the “Tech Ten” legislators of 2008 by the Arizona Technology Council and ranked as one of the “Top of the Class” by the Sierra Club. I was also accepted to the Council of State Governments’ prestigious Legislative Academy and will be serving as a delegate to Japan for the American Council of Young Political Leaders in November of 2008.

What do you think is the most important issue of the election?

At the current time, it is the economy. There is no other issue that is going to have a greater impact on Arizonans, especially students, than how we manage our budget crisis. We must protect university funding throughout these tough budget times.

If elected, what would you want your relationship with ASU to be?

I already have an excellent relationship with ASU. I have the ASU Downtown campus in my district, and I serve as the Ranking Democrat on the Higher Education Committee. I have a proven record of fighting for increased university funding and protecting students’ interests.

Why should ASU students want to elect you?

I have a proven track record of working to improve higher education in Arizona. I fought for additional capital funding in 2008, lower costs for textbooks and more equitable funding for all three major universities. Once re-elected, I will continue to fight for these issues.

What is the No. 1 change you want to see in your district?

We need to continue reducing crime and supporting our neighborhoods. I have led the fight in anti-gang and anti-graffiti legislation and will continue working on these issues in order to enhance the quality of life in both the older and newer communities of the district.

What would your contributions to the community be?

I will continue to fight for our district every single day. I have been a champion for education, seniors and neighborhoods since being elected to the State Legislature, and I believe we are already seeing the results of some of this work throughout the district. As a state legislator, my number one priority is to improve the quality of life for every single community in my district.

×