Hundreds of students Race for the Cure

Maroon and gold speckled crowds of pink and white downtown Sunday morning as more than 200 students from seven ASU teams raced and volunteered in support of breast cancer research.

The students were among about 33,000 participants in the 16th Susan G. Komen Phoenix Race for the Cure, which raises money for breast cancer research and awareness.

Bioengineering freshman Madeline Grade said she ran with ASU Gold Team, a group of 164 students, to support family members who had breast cancer.

“I think it's awesome to see all the maroon and gold around today,” she said. “It's really nice seeing all the people who are running, walking, even making the attempt to finish to support the cause.”

Nursing freshman Jackie Jung raced with her College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation residential community to help support breast cancer research.

“One of the reasons one of my family members passed away was because the research wasn't good enough,” she said.

Jung added she was glad to see so many people at the race because it signaled a significant increase in awareness and funding.

The Komen organization reached its goal of raising $2 million this year, which equates to about 160,000 mammograms, according to a Komen press release. The organization raised more than $1.9 million in last year’s race, which also had about 37,000 participants.

Nursing faculty member Debra Ilchak helped coordinate the nursing residential-community group as a way for her students to get involved in the cause.

“It's a great opportunity for students. As future nurses, this is something that will impact them,” she said.

Ilchack said some participants in the group had family members and friends with breast cancer.

“When you have a student in your group who is connected to the cause, it makes it more personal,” she said.

Between 80 and 100 freshman student athletes lined the intersection of Fourth Avenue and Washington Street as volunteers in an athletic department community service project to supply water to race participants.

Cheering “ASU” as participants passed, journalism freshman Janae Fulcher said volunteering for the race was a great way to show awareness of the community.

“Being out here with people who survived breast cancer ... is just huge,” Fulcher said. “Hopefully we’ll support them and then they will support us back.”

Pat Elder, executive director of the Phoenix Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, said the organization counts on ASU student volunteers for the race.

“We've always had great support from ASU,” she said. “Just being there, getting up early on a Sunday morning to come participate, that's just wonderful.”

Spanish senior Nicole Harris said she still volunteers with the freshman-athlete service project because she had a great experience her freshman year.

“What’s better than to support supportive people? It’s amazing to see ... whether they’re running for their moms, sisters, aunts, or whatever,” Harris said. “It just gives you chills down your back.”

Reach the reporter at adam.sneed@asu.edu.

×