Admittedly, the headlines of The State Press over the course of the semester have not been the most positive.

Essentially, money issues are hurting us everywhere, jobs are getting cut, student fees are on the way, record deficits are racking up, the housing bubble burst, football’s bubble burst, gay people are angry at religious conservatives and religious conservatives are angry at gay people.

All in all, it seems our editorial board has been encountered a hostile takeover from the likes of Negative Nancy, Debbie Downer, Bob Bummer, Benjamin Boohoo and Gloomy Gus. And because we’re inching closer to Christmas, we suspect they soon will be pulling the Grinch into the fold, as well.

Indeed, the dimmest hours of ASU’s year have largely been brighter and easier recognized than our University’s finest hours.

But not on this beautiful November day.

Today, we’d like to throw off our wet blankets, stop and smell the roses (even if they aren’t from Pasadena), and rejoice in the fact that our news isn’t so bad:

• On Tuesday, about 40 students from Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Delta Chi, Alpha Pi Omega and Omega Phi Alpha put on an appreciatory breakfast for ASU’s facilities management staff. Not only was it nice to see Greek organizations going beyond penny drives and car washes, it was great that over 100 underappreciated workers of the University’s behind-the-scenes operations received some long overdue gratitude.

• The football team didn’t lose.

• We lucked out. While we at ASU are left to sweat out a proposal for a modest 5 percent tuition increase, UA students — current and incoming — are facing a 13 percent jump for next year. That said, we’re going to consider throwing the “no pity for the kitty” saying out the window. (Note: Consider.)

• ASU athletics had a nice Tuesday afternoon. The basketball program landed a local prep star, St. Mary’s guard Demetrius Walker, and the baseball program’s former standout, Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox, garnered American League Most Valuable Player award.

• The University got greener. With the recent planting of 100 trees, a “Tree Campus USA” designation from the Arbor Day Foundation and an on-campus renewable energy conference, Mother Nature ought to send Sparky a thank-you card.

• One week after Homecoming week, it’s now everybody’s week. Headliners include Cronkite Week, International Education Week and National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. Also, please note that it is now State Press Appreciation Week.

Sadly, things will certainly go bad again soon and demand our sad words, but since it’s hard to say for certain, we suppose we’ll just enjoy the positivity and wait and see.

All we do know for sure is that it feels good to not talking about our woes for a day. And on that, we’re positive.

×