Still fighting about gay marriage

I keep hearing this theory that polygamy is OK if gay marriage is OK. While I don’t see the connection between two people being married and many people all being married to each other, I have decided that I agree it should be legalized.

As per the famous Western “Paint Your Wagon,” I think there is sufficient proof that a woman can manage two husbands well enough. I want to qualify this though; the husbands must all be at least 18 years old when they are married off. I don’t want to see any of this underage marriage stuff going on just to force children to grow up in the same traditions as their parents.

Children from a multiple-husband marriage should have the same rights as children from a single-husband household. They should have freedom to become educated on the world outside their community and choose to leave if they wish.

Personally, I will not be marrying multiple husbands. I have a hard enough time with one boyfriend. I won’t even share a bedroom with him because he is messy and I am neat. I cannot imagine trying to put up with two or more of him.

I know men are supposed to be submissive to women, and so I should be able to manage more than one because God says they must obey me. Still, it seems they would complain a lot and want me to buy them things, and it sounds like a lot of work.

However, I will support other women’s rights to marry multiple men. This is what religious people want, right? They have as many rights as gay people, don’t they?

I know I am young, and I may not understand the details of the religions that are running our government, but I think I understand this polygamy thing OK. Like I said, I saw “Paint Your Wagon.” I think polygamy worked out OK for Clint Eastwood; and after all, if it worked out for Clint, can’t it work for all of us?

Jenifer DeLemont

Undergraduate

×