Lights' music shines in EP

cdreview_lights_web

Artist: Lights

Album: Lights (self titled)

Rating: 4 out of 5 pitchforks

Label: Warner Bros.

Indie artist Valerie Poxleitner, more commonly known as Lights, brings us her very first self-titled EP, featuring the song “Drive My Soul.” It is hard not like this self-proclaimed “small town girl” from Toronto, with her honest lyrics and sweet sounding voice.

The choruses are extremely catchy, especially in the song “Ice,” in which Lights sings, “What I mean is, all I need is, just a little emotion, ’cause all I see is you not feeling, and you’re giving me nothing nice.” The song is about a boy who is giving her mixed signals and all she wants is a straight answer on his feelings.

All of the songs on the EP are about love and the drama of relationships but are in done in such a way that they aren’t redundant. She talks about just loving someone for who they are and protect them from sadness and sorrow of the world. Lights’ clearly draws from her own experiences as inspiration for the songs. To her credit, she not only writes all of her own music, but she makes the beats, as well.

The sound of the CD ranges from dance to pop to electronica. To create her sound, she uses her computer, synthesizers and sound makers. The music is simple, but it works with her tiny voice and sweet sound.

The only thing wrong with the EP is that there are only six songs. That is not enough to show just what this girl can do.

Tonight, Nov. 12, Lights will be playing live at The Clubhouse in Tempe. Everyone should go check her out.

Reach the reporter at natasha.karaczan@asu.edu.

×