Laughter, board games and bravos at 'Clue' the play

The murder mystery comedy is showing at Galvin Playhouse Theater through Feb. 24

The Echo-clue-the-play

Cast members from ASU theatre's production of "Clue" peer through a door during a dress rehearsal on Thursday, Feb. 15, 2024 at the Galvin Playhouse Theater in Tempe.

The hit play "Clue," starring ASU students, is bringing murderous laughter to Tempe audiences at the Paul V. Galvin Playhouse Theatre. "Clue" is a play adaptation of the 1985 murder mystery comedy movie, inspired by the board game of the same name. 

Opening night was last week on Feb. 16, but no need to fear: the show runs this weekend, Friday through Sunday. 

"It's like the eight dumbest people of all time trying to solve a murder mystery," said Christopher Hoenscheidt, a junior studying film and media production who plays Professor Plum. "It's like a whodunit with absolutely no one who is legitimately qualified to figure out who did it."

For those who haven't played the original game, it revolves around trying to figure out the murderer among six characters: Colonel Mustard, Professor Plum, Mrs. Peacock, Mrs. White, Ms. Scarlet and Mr. Green. The game also asks players to determine which of six murder weapons was used to commit the crime and where it was committed.

"Clue" adapts into a unique play combining a more serious genre, mystery, a dramatic flare, and light-hearted comedy. 

"The cool thing about 'Clue' is that it has multiple endings," Geno Ploeger, a sophomore studying marketing and theatre who plays Mr. Green. "There are so many different parts of the show with so much suspense that makes it such a cool production."

From comedic background noises to suspenseful climaxes, the production forces audience members to be completely immersed in the experience from the moment lights go up to the moment cast members bow.

"It was a great production and great performance," said Ellie Little, a freshman studying theatre who attended the show.

Noah Munoz, a freshman studying biomedical engineering, said he was impressed by the scene changes and how specific elements of the murder mystery mansion were incorporated on a singular stage. 

According to the actors, the success of the show was thanks to a great deal of effort, and a lot of that success came from the very beginning — auditions. 

McKenna Garvey, a senior studying both psychology and theatre who plays Mrs. White, said her personal experience playing the board game led her to audition in the first place. 

"I was so excited to perform 'Clue,'" said Garvey. "'Clue' is my favorite board game, and the problem-solving behind it is a great way to enjoy a fun night."

For others, it's about the skills that a production this well-known requires. According to Ploeger, the show garners its audience reception from the heavy amount of physicality and comedic expressions demanded of the actors.

The production process took almost four months, according to Garvey. From team-bonding starting in November and constant rehearsals starting in January until opening night on Feb. 16, the play was the main thing on cast members' minds. 

Each actor brought individual creativity to the show through their interpretations of the characters.

"I've never seen the movie," said Garvey. "I made Mrs. White based on the descriptions I was given and then also acting how I interpreted it."

The energy levels during the show translate into more energy from both the audience and cast, resulting in a play that is a testament to the hard work and dedication of the crew.

"Come in and try to have a good time with us," said Hoenscheidt. "Once you come in, you'll feel like you've also been in on the (murder mystery) joke the whole time."

As Sergiy Holmer, the junior studying theatre who plays Colonel Mustard, said, "If you're looking for a laugh, you'll find it here."

Edited by Sophia Braccio, Sadie Buggle and Grace Copperthite.

Reach the reporter at gachatht@asu.edu.

Gokul AchaththekootThe Echo Reporter

Gokul is a sophomore studying actuarial science. This is his third semester with The State Press.

×