The Sun Devil swim and dive teams dropped both their dual meets this weekend against Pac-10 Conference powers UCLA and USC.

Friday night, the women’s squad (0-4, 0-2 Pac-10) was defeated handily 195-105 by the Bruins, while the men lost to USC 187-48.

The men’s team (0-1, 0-1 Pac-10) was not expected to compete with the Trojans, simply because ASU didn’t have enough competitors to fill all of the events.

Senior Sean Boyle stood out among the men’s swimmers with a win in the 200-yard freestyle. Boyle also placed third the 200-yard butterfly and 500-yard freestyle swims.

Senior Jen Beckberger led the women’s team, taking the 200-yard freestyle event, while also finishing second in the 50 and 100-yard freestyle races.

Both the men and women’s teams took on the Trojans on Saturday as well, but the results weren’t any better.

The women's squad fell 132-67 while the men lost 149-92.

Despite the defeats, several key performances should give both teams some confidence heading into one of their biggest meets of the year, The Texas Invitational in early December.

Senior Vinicius Waked won the 200-yard freestyle while senior Micky Benedetti took home two diving victories.

Benedetti, last season’s Pac-10 Conference Diver of the year, won both the one-meter and three-meter diving events.

The women’s freshmen class continued its success as well.

Sasha Stevens won the 100-yard backstroke, while Penelope Yamauchi placed second in the 1000-yard freestyle swim, finishing only behind Olympic gold medalist Rebecca Soni, a USC senior.

Reach the reporter at ryan.g.campbell@asu.edu.

×