ASU police reported the following incidents Wednesday:

• At about 5:40 p.m. Saturday, an 18-year-old female ASU student was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an 18-year-old female ASU student, police reported.

The suspect reportedly grabbed the victim by the arm and punched her in the face at the Palo Verde West residence hall on the Tempe campus, according to the police report.

The suspect hit the victim because she wanted the sweatshirt she had loaned the victim, police reported.

The victim said she wouldn’t give the suspect her cell phone charger back until the received the sweatshirt, police reported.

The victim then grabbed the suspect around the neck and scratched her, according to the police report.

• At about 4:15 a.m. Saturday a tree located north of the Urban Systems Engineering building on the Tempe campus caught fire by an unknown source, police reported.

A 21-year-old male ASU student and a 22-year-old male ASU student were witnesses to the incineration of the tree, according to the police report.

The Tempe Fire Department extinguished the fire but could not determine its cause, police reported.

There are no leads or suspects at this time, according to the police report.

• Between 9:30 and 11 p.m. Friday an unknown suspect or suspects committed criminal damage to the car of a 20-year-old male ASU student, police reported.

The car was parked in the Vista del Sol parking lot on the Tempe campus, according to the police report.

The vehicle had scratches along the door jams on the driver’s side door. The student reported that he believed someone was trying to steal the car, police reported.

The cost of the damage isn’t known at this time, according to the police report.

There are no leads, suspects or witnesses at this time, police reported.

Tempe police reported the following incident Wednesday:

• A 23-year-old transient man was arrested Friday on suspicion of being in possession of narcotic drugs and possessing narcotic drugs for sale, police reported.

The man was stopped at the 1700 block of West Emelita Avenue in Mesa for a traffic violation, according to the police report.

The man consented to a search of his vehicle, which revealed he had two ounces of cocaine in a hidden compartment, police reported.

Police believe the suspect intended to sell the cocaine, according to the police report.

The man was booked into Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, police reported.

Reports compiled by Tessa Muggeridge. Reach the reporter at tessa.muggeridge@asu.edu.

×