Cash Cash anything but money

Music fans these days are fickle. Rather than standing by their favorite bands and supporting career artists who put out consistently good music, trends are thrust upon the mainstream, and hoards of bands conform to whatever is “hot” at the moment.

Remember “emo” and the boys-in-girls’-pants days? Those days are long gone and the dance-pop era is ready for its 15 minutes.

Think back to Metro Station dominating the charts over the summer with the poppy hit “Shake It” ­— now next in line is Cash Cash, armed with their debut album “Take It To The Floor,” and their own brand of synthesized, Auto-Tune dance pop for the masses.

The album opens with “Breakout,” an upbeat tune featuring more than a few sexual references despite sounding like it was intended for a junior high dance.

The lead single “Party In Your Bedroom” is a ridiculous concoction of awful synthesizer beats and the nasally, Auto-Tune assisted voice of singer Jean Paul Makhlouf.

Makhlouf sings “You’re free to be a freak” and expresses his desire to have a party in a woman’s bedroom. However, it comes across as absurd and as though he is overcompensating for something.

The lone bright spot of the album, albeit a dimly lit bright spot, is the song “Electric Hearts,” which features Makhlouf singing smoothly over a less distracting beat.

Unfortunately for the band, they quickly remind the listener that the album is not worth a second listen with the two and a half minute space waster “Interlude.”

It is nothing more than an irrelevant instrumental track that begins with faux radio broadcasts and gives off the impression that the band was not creative enough to write a legitimate 12th track for the album.

Cash Cash is falling in line with the latest mainstream music trend, and this New Jersey-based quartet’s debut release makes it painfully obvious that they’re in it for the, well, cash and not the music.

Here’s to hoping this fad passes quickly before we’re on to the next trend, and our ears are bombarded with something we can only hope is a little better.

Because honestly, it couldn’t get any worse than “Take It To The Floor.”

×