Police Beat

ASU police reported the following incident Tuesday:

• Between 1:30 and 7:30 p.m. Thursday, a white four-door 1997 Honda Civic was stolen from the Apache Boulevard Parking Structure, police reported.

The car had an Arizona license plate number “478 KTP,” a clear coat of paint peeling on the hood and a bent exhaust pipe, according to a police report.

The car was locked but did not did not have an alarm, and there was no broken glass found in the parking lot, police reported.

The owner had several items in the car, including golf clubs, and the total estimated loss was $5,455, according to police.

Tempe police reported the following incidents Tuesday:

• A 43-year-old Chandler man and a 42-year-old Mesa man were arrested at 10:34 p.m. Monday near the 3200 block of South Dorsey Lane on suspicion of possession of dangerous drugs, according to a police report.

A security guard at an apartment complex saw the Chandler man in a parked car holding a small plastic bag filled with a crystalline substance believed to be methamphetamine, police reported.

When the guard asked what was in the bag, the man said it was “speed,” according to the report.

The security guard called police, and the Chandler man dropped the bag in the car when they arrived, police reported.

The Mesa man picked up the bag and placed it on the car’s dashboard, police reported.

The Chandler man admitted that the bag contained methamphetamine and said he was showing it to his friend, the Mesa man, according to the report.

Both men were taken to Tempe City Jail and were released pending charges.

• A 27-year-old transient man was arrested Monday morning on the 100 block of East Fifth Street on suspicion of burglary, shoplifting and criminal trespassing, according to a police report.

The man was captured on a security video at 4:14 a.m. breaking the front glass door of the Chipotle at 1038 S. Mill Ave., police reported. The man reportedly tried to remove a cash register from the restaurant.

One hour later, the man used a large block to shatter the front door of the Subway restaurant near the 900 block of South Mill Avenue, which he entered to steal food, according to the report.

At 6 a.m. he entered a Cricket Communications store and stole $5 worth of food, police reported.

At about 7:40 a.m. the man entered the CVS Pharmacy at 802 S. Mill Ave. and removed one bottle of liquid valued at $43, according to police.

Police located the man at 7:43 a.m. near East Sixth Street, when he ran away.

The man reportedly ran onto light-rail property and into the Tempe Police Department parking structure, where he hid under a vehicle.

Police arrested the man at 8:33 a.m. and booked him into Tempe City Jail, where he was held to see a judge, according to police reports.

A police investigation revealed the man was convicted of another robbery on Jan. 9.

• A 55-year-old transient male was arrested at 1:08 p.m. Monday near the 2000 block of West Southern Avenue on suspicion of possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and providing false information to police, according to a police report.

Police said they found the man in a trash bin behind a building where he had a marijuana cigarette, a glass pipe with white residue and a pipe used to smoke marijuana in his backpack. The man gave police consent to search his backpack, police reported.

The man did not have identification and gave police a false name, police reported.

A fingerprint check revealed his true identity and also that he had two felony warrants with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office for probation violation, according to police reports.

The man was taken to Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, police said.

Reports compiled by Adam Sneed. Reach the reporter at adam.sneed@asu.edu.

×