Group to form official Downtown student government

The Student Government Advisory Board held a Constitutional Forum in the Wells Fargo Student Center on the Downtown campus Wednesday to receive feedback about their drafted constitution to become an official student government.

Downtown students gathered to watch a slideshow made by the Downtown Advisory Board about the constitution, as well as to have snacks, enter raffles and find out more about what it means to be an official student government.

“We had a meeting like this last semester, but the student turnout wasn’t very good,” said Rabia Abdulmajeed, president of the Downtown group and nursing junior. “We decided it wouldn’t be fair if we didn’t have more student input.”

The board will have a table set up in the University Center on Feb. 23 for students and faculty to review the final draft of the constitution. There is also a link currently on the board’s Web site for people to read the draft online.

“I want people to read this line by line,” Abdulmajeed said. “It’s important for people to vote, but it’s more important for them to read and understand what they’re voting on. This is their campus — they should have a say in what goes on.”

Voting on the constitution will take place from Feb. 26 to March 3. The board will have a table in the University Center. People can also vote online. A link will be posted by Monday for voting, but people can only vote online during the specified voting times.

Also discussed at the Constitutional Forum were elections for fall 2009.

Elections will be held in March and Downtown students are invited to run for executive board, senator positions or the judicial board. Abulmajeed encourages everyone to run for a position.

“One of my pet peeves are students who complain that there is nothing to do on the Downtown campus and then they do nothing about it,” Abdulmajeed said. “Don’t be talking about how nothing goes on down here and then not get involved. This is your opportunity to make a difference and make things happen on the Downtown campus.”

Reach the reporter at sheydt@asu.edu.

×