Hungry for compassion

I just had to cut a new hole in my belt to keep my pants from falling down. Don’t worry, though — I get my first paycheck from my new job on Tuesday. Then I can go buy the cheapest, longest-lasting, least-filling cardboard they call food that I can find. I’ve been looking at your colorful ads a lot lately; they seem like they’d be tasty.

Joking aside, hunger is a real issue for this working college student, as I’m sure it is for others. I’ve eaten once in the last three days because I have to ration my last packets of ramen.

After months of searching in a terrible economy while trying to take a full load of classes and finish my honors thesis before graduation — funds dwindling every day — getting a job recently was the best thing that could have happened to me.

Or so I thought. It seems my first paycheck may be my last. The little window of time in between work and school is eaten up by the Phoenix rush hour, which goes on to swallow class time. To keep my job, I asked a couple of my professors for a little flexibility.

But instead of working with me, they have remained rigid in the face of my reasonable requests. I don’t have a job to buy an Xbox or sunglasses or new chrome rims. I need a job to pay for rent. I need to pay for food. By working, I survive to stimulate the economy and take my good experience at ASU with me after I graduate. Now, survival is a struggle, and that good experience is in serious jeopardy.

The administration and faculty don’t do nearly enough to accommodate working students. They have become callous to our needs. Where’s their sacrifice? Where’s their sense of unity? And God forbid I stand up for myself and offend their delicate sensibilities.

Yes, they deserve my respect for devoting their time and effort to my education. They have a noble profession. But that respect has a limit, especially when they’re standing obstinately in the way of my basic survival.

In these tough economic times, everyone should do his or her part. I’ve sacrificed with my time, my sweat and my health. It’s time for those of us in positions of authority to do the same. We need you to be fighting with us, not against us. And if you won’t share our outrage, at least show some compassion. We’re starving out here.

Ryan Sweeney

Undergraduate

×