Police search for Poly dorm robbery suspect

UPDATED: ASU police are looking for a fourth suspect in an active armed robbery case after arresting three suspects last week, ASU Police Cmdr. Jim Hardina said Wednesday.

The four 19-year-old men — three of whom are Chandler-Gilbert Community College students, two of whom play on the school’s basketball team — are suspected of robbing several dorm rooms on the Polytechnic campus on March 2.

Several of the victims in the crime, an unidentified number of students living in several dorm rooms, are suspected of selling drugs from their rooms.

The Bell Hall rooms that were robbed extend from a shared “pod” area that remains unlocked.

Early in the morning on March 2, Christopher McVeigh is suspected of entering the pod and purchasing marijuana from a victim. Chandler-Gilbert basketball player Shakka Kanu, clad in a mask, is suspected of later entering the area with a gun and demanding several computers, a cell phone, a video game machine system and marijuana, Hardina said.

CGCC basketball player Troy Draves is suspected of driving the getaway car.

All three have been arrested on one count of armed robbery.

When police were investigating the crime, they discovered drugs and paraphernalia in a dorm room connected to the pod, revealing the drug dealing.

ASU police is still looking for a fourth man, Jazzmin Douglas Huffman, who is believed to be a recruit for the CGCC basketball team and currently in Texas.

Kanu was identified because a victim recognized him from Chandler-Gilbert basketball games and located him on Facebook, Hardina said.

ASU police conducted a traffic stop, and Kanu confessed to the robbery and revealed the names of his partners, leading to their subsequent arrests.

McVeigh and Draves also confessed to the crime, Hardina said.

ASU police is asking anyone with information about the whereabouts of robbery suspect Jazzmin Douglas Huffman, 19, to call 480-965-3456.

Reach the reporter at tessa.muggeridge@asu.edu.

×