Bravo to Safe Sex Week and its penchant for creating humorous situations. Not only did a group of students assemble on Hayden Lawn on Tuesday afternoon to display a 12-foot mesh condom, they also tried to put it on the Tempe campus landmark casually (and affectionately) known as the “Nipple of Knowledge.” To us, that confusion of proper condom location — plus the failure of the placement — shows exactly why ASU needs a Safe Sex Week. We covered the ironic part of the story, now you insert the joke part.

Boo to four digits — though we have no idea what exact digits we are speaking about. While speaking Thursday about the effects of potential 2010 budget cuts, ASU President Michael Crow outlined the need for tuition surcharges. The news is grim for students. “Those numbers won’t be in three digits, those numbers will be in four digits, just to give you some sense [of their impact],” Crow said. Fortunately, $11.11 contains four digits. ... Unfortunately, so does $9,999.

Bravo to the Tempe campus Undergraduate Student Government. For once, it appears the USG election season went smoothly. The election, won by sophomore Brendan O’Kelly, passed without major controversy — there were no violations or court dates — and with a record-setting voter turnout. Better yet, now we get to ignore USG for a whole other year except for the few times we get to make veiled references at how little they do. ... Well, unless O’Kelly can mix things up. Hey, an editorial board can dream.

Boo to “American Idol” viewers for voting off ASU’s own Scott MacIntyre this week, and an extra boo to Simon Cowell for not using the “judges’ save” to keep Scott in the running for the title. But an even bigger bravo goes to Scott himself, who made our University proud with his run on the show. Not one to be constrained by normal standards, the visually impaired classical pianist and singer graduated from ASU at age 19 in 2006. On “American Idol,” Scott finished eighth out of millions and kept a smart and classy demeanor through it all. See you on the Idol tour this summer, Scott!

Bravo to our Sun Devil hoop stars, who will now be living the high life in the professional ranks. One day after James Harden announced that he will skip his final two years of college for the greener ($) pastures of the NBA, former ASU point guard Briann January became the sixth player selected in the WNBA draft. The ASU basketball program as a whole is rising fast, and the proof will be seen on the hardwood floors of professional arenas next season. Kudos, James and Briann, for making hoops in Tempe matter again.

×