Support for the DREAM Act

It seems someone commenting on the article about the DREAM Act has some strong, albeit false, statements. Let me clarify any fallacies in his or her argument:

First, the Dream Act will not cause American citizens to pay for the education of undocumented students. Current laws do not allow state or federal money to go to these students. In fact, the DREAM Act will allow these students to become contributing members of society and pay higher taxes than they otherwise would, because undocumented people do pay taxes through an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.

Second, there are millions of scholarship dollars that go unclaimed and that undocumented students are ineligible for. Whether it be the FAFSA, grants, or state-funded university scholarships, there is always money for American citizens. We just need to look harder.

Third, there is a fallacy that the citizens’ representation in Washington is dwarfed by that of representation for undocumented people. Seeing as how only citizens can elect our officials into office, that is highly unlikely. Also, for every pro-immigrant interest group out there, there are plenty of anti-immigrant groups spewing irrational arguments and semantics.

Fourth, the idea that America is “struggling to keep their families fed” is ludicrous. America is still one of the richest nations in the world and still one of the most obese. If you want to see people struggling for food, might I suggest you look at other third-world countries.

Fifth, it was said that they are “taking paychecks away from American families.” In case you haven’t noticed, particularly in Arizona, the construction sector has suffered greatly. Along with those suffering are undocumented families, who without any more jobs, decide to go back to their home country.

However, the children of these families know nothing of those foreign countries and may not even speak the language. The students are not taking up spots in the classroom because they have been in those spots since an early age. We have already invested in their education. In order to see a return, we need to let them become contributing members of society and pay more taxes with the education they have received.

Sixth, it was inferred that the DREAM Act will give free healthcare, education, housing and even groceries to undocumented people. Not true. The act will only help undocumented students with two years of college or military service, five years in the U.S., arrived at 15 years or younger, graduated high school and have a good moral character. That’s a very small niche of the undocumented population. Nor will the DREAM Act provide all those “free” things to the benefactors. Not even education.

The DREAM Act will simply allow these deserving students who were brought here as kids a path to legalization; in essence, the right to be called what they’ve grown up as: U.S. citizens.

Celso Mireles

Undergraduate

×