Race continues to decide presidency

p1_USG_web
Matt Pavelek | The State Press

Brendan O'Kelly: 1,522 votes

Christina Rocks: 823 votes

::View profiles of O'Kelly and Rocks::

Brendan O’Kelly and Christina Rocks were announced as the two candidates with the most votes for the Undergraduate Student Government presidency on late Thursday afternoon on the Old Main lawn.

Since a majority vote was not reached, there will be a runoff election campaign held from April 2 to April 7.

Students will be able to vote online from midnight to 11:59 p.m. on April 7, said Michelle Gutierrez, director of ASASU Elections.

A runoff election occurs when one candidate does not receive more than 50 percent of the vote, and the two candidates with the most votes compete against each other for a majority.

Gutierrez said a total of 3,619 students voted during the election, which was “way more than last year.”

According to a State Press article from April 3, 2008, 2,927 students voted in last year’s USG elections.

O’Kelly, a history and political science sophomore received 1,522 votes. Rocks, a history junior, received 823 votes.

“I feel really excited,” O’Kelly said. “We’re ready to keep going in the runoff and [we’re] really excited to continue to campaign.”

The other presidential candidates — Sarah Atwill, James Alling and Raza Mushtaq — did not receive enough votes to be eligible for the runoff election.

Reach the reporter at reweaver@asu.edu.

×