The term socialized medicine is almost an evil term.

People associate universal health care with socialism and communism, supposedly two of the greatest enemies of democracy. Consider this, though: The United States is the only industrialized nation without universal health care.

While it is imperative we all remain vigilantes of democracy, we must look at threats as real or perceived. Universal health care is just a perceived threat — to fear something that would benefit the entire citizenry is downright foolish.

For many Americans, the idea of socialized medicine seems to shake this country to its core. For others, it is just the next step America must take to ensure better care of its citizens.

A paradox exists though. Socialized medicine already exists in America and is reserved for some of the most respected people in the country.

The health care system run by the Department for Veteran Affairs is socialized medicine. The VA typically employs people who are salaried physicians and nurses who are government payroll. The health care system’s data storage is credited with being efficient and keeping costs down.

According to People’s Weekly World, veterans have praised the quality of this health care system and its low costs. They agree that everyone in the nation should have this care. These people have looked death in the eye to defend our country, yet advocate an ideal that many deem un-American.

Great Britain, which has the most socialized system, was ranked 18th by the World Health Organization in health care. The United States was ranked 37th.

Britain is home to the most socialized system because the National Health Service provides all the service. The government operates the hospitals and employs the doctors. Citizens of Great Britain are not assigned to a doctor like many are led to believe — rather they can choose whom they receive medical care from.

Veterans advocate universal health care. Great Britain, a strong Western democracy, has a successful socialized medicine health care system. Apparently, it is more efficient than its U.S. counterpart. It is time our country reevaluate our approach to health care.

I believe our strong opposition to socialized medicine and universal health care are rooted in several myths.

The first illusion, and the one that stems all other subsequent illusions, is the belief that the world’s greatest health care system holds its residency in America. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Medscape, which is a part of WebMD Health Professional Network, reveals some startling truths in an article on their Web site, medscape.com.

First, the United States’ health care system is regressive. Our country’s poorest citizens pay more for health care than our country’s richer citizens.

According to an article on Medscape, the country’s poorest fifth spend 18 percent of their income on health care costs, whereas the country’s richest fifth spend only 3 percent. These statistics explain why half of personal bankruptcies are because of are caused by health care costs.

With such disparities, America clearly needs to stop viewing this regressive system through rose-colored glasses. Health care has been the thorn in America’s side for too long; the time has finally come for us to face this crisis.

If we are to reform a broken system we must do it with the kernels of truth, not the biting lies that try to derail a rational and just process.

This includes realizing that we do have the ability to insure everyone. Many say we don’t, but this is a myth.

We must get rid of overpricing and unnecessary medical expenditures that complicate the U.S. health care system. Also, Medscape reveals that roughly half of universal health care costs are present in the system. It is a matter of spending it in the most efficient manner.

In a letter from President Obama last week, the public received good news.

In it, he affirmed his support for the creation of a new government-sponsored health care system, which would operate alongside the private sector. He also stated he was open to a mandate that all Americans must have health insurance, with exceptions for some people.

While this is only a start, this concept may finally become a reality.

A democracy can only fully function if its citizens are in peak condition. A nation with sick citizens is like a circus without a ringmaster.

It is essential for the United States to have healthy citizens to continue to flourish as a country. We must take the next step and embrace universal health care.

Andrew can be reached at

andrew.hedlund@asu.edu

×