Dear Arizona State Senate,

It has come to my attention that a bill passed that restricts any state agency from placing a limit on greenhouse emissions. This is very discerning to the public. It appears the majority of our state’s elected officials are out of touch with reality.

I realize the very core of this debate lies within one central question: Is global warming real? Before you dismiss me, hear me out. I am not offering a smoke and mirrors explanation, rather just promoting an open and honest examination of facts.

A common argument against global warming is that, should it happen, a modest amount would be beneficial to the natural world and to humans.

People who maintain this to be true point to history for evidence. They say the Medieval Warm Period (from about 800 to 1200 AD) allowed the Vikings to settle Greenland, which had been previously inhospitable.

Proponents of this argument go even further back and note the years between 5,000 and 3,000 BC were even warmer.

Much has changed since 1200 AD, let alone 5,000 BC. Planes and helicopters rule the sky, while cars are ever present in our society.

The massive use of these contributed to climate change.

In a study the United States Global Change Research Program released, they concluded that climate has changed because of heat-trapping gases.

The study revealed the emissions of these gases comes from fossil fuel, clearing forests and agricultural activity.

The ramifications for failing to act could be dire. An Arizona Republic article revealed that Arizona could suffer from scorching weather, droughts and an ever-dwindling water supply. These study issued by the U.S. Global Climate Change Research Program echo these findings.

Senators, please tell me what the purpose of passing this bill was. Is it to endanger Arizona, or is it a careless error that needs to be remedied immediately? I would like to point out that while this nation is progressing, Arizona is regressing.

The House of Representatives in Washington D.C. just passed a bill that addresses this threat. It limits emissions of heat-trapping gases, sets standards for alternative energy and allocates money toward new energy developments. Arizona, on the other hand, just passed a bill making it harder to limit greenhouse emissions.

Arizona citizens have been beguiled one too many times. This state’s elected officials have decided to gamble with our future. This bill welcomes even hotter weather, droughts and less water than before. How did this bill even make it out of committee?

I expected better from the Arizona State Senate.

Regards,

A Concerned Citizen

Andrew can be reached at andrew.hedlund@asu.edu

×