3 Roots cafe set to reopen

The Mat Corner and 3 Roots Coffee House and Cafe are reopening Wednesday under new ownership, but with the same atmosphere.

Located at 1020 S. Mill Avenue, The Mat Corner has been around for about 38 years and 3 Roots has been operating for about seven years, according to Ryan Spencer, the new owner.

“They’re separate businesses, but we really run them as one,” Spencer said.

He said the only thing changing about the coffee shop is a paint job and some new furniture.

“I want to continue that same vibe,” Spencer said.

He said he stepped into the new ownership because he wanted to avoid the closing of another small, local business in the Tempe area.

“I’m a Tempe native and came across it,” Spencer said.

He said that the coffee shop is known for being a peaceful place with a lot of culture and community, as well as a frequent stop of many ASU students and faculty.

“We’d love to have all of our customers back,” Spencer said.

Brent Belgard, a political science senior, will be working as a barista at 3 Roots when it reopens.

He said he decided to work there due to its clientele.

“The kinds of students [who] come into the coffee shop are enjoyable,” Belgard said.

He added that he likes how 3 Roots is geared more toward the employees and community.

“I like that they’re a private-owned coffee shop,” Belgard said.

He said he went to 3 Roots a few times before it temporarily closed.

“I think that it’s really good that they encourage gigs for solo artists,” Belgard said.

Katrina Bookhout, an English literature senior, also will be working at 3 Roots.

“It’s always been the place that I’d go to do my homework. It’s got a nice ambiance about it,” Bookhout said.

She said she likes how it has a history, uses locally-roasted coffee beans, provides a lot of training and hosts different events, among other things.

She said she was a very frequent customer.

“I’m really pleased that I get to be a part of it,” Bookhout said.

Reach the reporter at reweaver@asu.edu

×