People of faith have developed a bad reputation in the environmental community.

It’s no secret that religious texts have been referenced to deny support for environmental protection. They’ve even been used to encourage degradation in the name of religion.

These are by no means old accusations. Professor Lynn White pointed to religion as the major cause of environmental degradation throughout history in his article “The Historical Roots of our Ecological Crisis,” which was published in the late ’60s.

But one does not have to read White to get the sense that religious communities believe the Earth is here to solely satisfy human needs.

Even in casual conversations I hear things such as “God made the Earth for us” (Replace “the Earth” with animals, trees, the land, etc.).

But not all faith-based groups share anti-environment views. In fact, the national interfaith organization Interfaith Power and Light is “mobilizing a religious response to global warming in congregations through the promotion of renewable energy, energy efficiency and conservation,” according to its Web site.

Interfaith Power and Light has groups in 30 states and is comprised of approximately 10,000 Christian, Jewish, Islamic and Buddhist congregations, according to new media company Triple Pundit. The organization has even developed partnerships with Sears and Energy Federation Incorporated to give members discounts on energy efficient appliances.

In addition to its already impressive membership and earth-friendly partnerships, there are several other great things about this organization.

First, it helps to build bridges between communities of different faiths by sharing a common goal of environmental protection. Collaborative efforts to help the environment between groups that might otherwise be at odds are signs of a new and positive trend.

Second, the organization focuses on action. Not only do members educate, but they also help people actually make energy efficient changes. For example, the organization provides energy audits and helps to execute the recommended changes, works on substantial renewable energy projects and advocates for global warming policies.

Third, Interfaith is empowering people to make important lifestyle changes that will benefit both themselves and humanity as a whole. When education, collaboration, support and discounts converge, people are able to achieve great things.

Conveniently, ASU is the perfect setting for education, collaboration and support to come together.

Why?

Because we have 50 registered religious student organizations on the Tempe campus alone, the expertise of the Global Institute of Sustainability and the support of the whole ASU community.

We have a group of smart and engaged individuals leading our religious campus clubs. I would love to see them unite and develop new and creative ways to help their followers become good stewards of the earth.

Honestly, if interfaith collaboration can happen on a national level, don’t you think it should happen at ASU? I certainly do — and knowing ASU students, I’m confident that it will.

Tell Becky about faith and the environment at rrubens1@asu.edu.

×