Study: Health care funding being wasted

With the question of a new health care system on the horizon, health care professionals and students have different concerns about the reasons behind current high prices.

The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice in New Hampshire released several studies earlier this year about the spending, quality and outcomes of health care.

“Some researchers estimate that up to 30 percent of spending on health care is wasted,” the institute said in its Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care Web site.

The institute attributed redundancy to the increase in cost, saying some doctors conduct unnecessary procedures and charge for each individually. In addition, the study found people are spending more on health care each passing year.

Broadcast journalism sophomore Rudy Rivas said he was surprised to get a $500 bill from ASU Health Services in the mail.

“I injured my heel and had to get X-rays and be put on crutches,” he said. “I didn’t realize the rules of my health care plan.”

Rivas, who is covered by a PacifiCare plan provided by his mother’s employer in San Diego, said health services didn’t tell him there would be a deductible included with the services he was receiving.

“Communication is something they need to work on,” he said. “It came as a surprise.”

Though Rivas said he feels at fault for not recognizing his insurance plan required a deductible, there is a disconnection with Campus Health Services and insurance providers.

Clinician educator at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, Dr. Steven Brown, in contrast, attributed the high cost of medical care to increased specialization in medicine.

“It is a huge issue now — our health care is in crisis,” he said. “Our needs are not well matched.”

Specialized physicians require higher salaries and treat conditions in a reactionary approach, he said, adding that primary care physicians are paid less but focus on preventative medicine.

Brown, a member of the Arizona Academy of Family Physicians, said the national organization advocates for these issues in Washington, D.C. to help increase the number of medical students going into primary care or family practice.

“In a lot of ways we are idealistic,” he said, adding that physicians in family practice are paid less but needed more.

The idea of more family practice doctors, who often practice preventative medicine, is not a new one. Brown said European nations have an equal ratio of these physicians to specialists, unlike the U.S.

Asian languages junior Colleen Hartwell said she would support a similar health care plan as many European nations and a government-run health care option.

“Health care is a right — it shouldn’t be a privilege,” she said. “It’s not a situation where demand really changes.”

Hartwell has an insurance plan through ASU Health Services that she said is a good, low-cost option for students.

“Part of me doesn’t want to graduate because of health care costs,” she said.

Hartwell, who said she has had to pay for insurance for herself, is worried about affording it after college.

“If it weren’t for [ASU], I probably wouldn’t have health care right now because it’s too expensive,” she said.

To reduce costs, Hartwell said converting to online medical records and giving patients a choice about their health care provider is necessary.

“There needs to be a better method of communicating,” she said. “It could become more about preventative [medicine] instead of reactionary.”

Reach the reporter at ndgilber@asu.edu.

×