After traveling to Japan a few years ago, I realized how naive the United States is when it comes to being knowledgeable about other cultures.

In Japan, students learn at a young age the importance of studying the English language. Although not all are fluent English speakers, I was able to have a basic conversation with strangers better than I could imagine engaging in conversation with someone who is speaking Japanese.

The United States touts itself as a multicultural society, a melting pot of sorts. Still, the world is more open to adapting to American ways than we are willing to welcome theirs.

This has become increasingly obvious in past years. American acceptance of other cultures — even of large cultural minorities at home — has dwindled alarmingly with the enforcement of English-only laws.

Sixteen American states have voted to become English-only states.

The law varies between each state, but critics have accused Arizona’s requirements of being “unconstitutional” and even “racist,” according to CNN. This uproar is a result of Arizona demanding that that all government business be conducted in strictly English.

Enforcing English immersion in the United States is not ideal. Our country was built on freedom, and the English-only ideology possesses an array of restrictions. The English-only law contradicts the diversity our country was founded upon and exposes little tolerance of minorities from the states.

The English-only law restricts the rights of less efficient English speakers and limits the government’s ability to provide extensive services in languages other than English.

Not only is this law ignorant, it also negatively affects numerous aspects of our society including voting, driver’s licensing exams and social welfare and education services, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

English-only laws alienate people who are less proficient in English by diminishing bilingual ballots and depriving students of the education necessary in certain states.

“To immerse children in an English-only environment, in a ‘sink or swim’ approach to learning English, will be frustrating to students and increase the dropout rate,” said Dr. Juan Carlos Jimenez, an ASU instructor and native of Cuba.

“I am in favor of allowing students and other people to learn English, but at the same time maintain their own language and culture. The students’ self-confidence, and sense of culture and belonging will all continue to improve as the student slowly assimilates into the program and the community,” Jimenez added.

Although most of minorities are fluent English speakers, 12.1 percent of people living in Arizona, and 8.6 percent of people in the country speak English “less than ‘very well,’” according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The United States preaches the importance of staying united. However, these English-only votes show that numerous people do not even make an effort to understand the lifestyle of their minority neighbors.

English-only laws show our ignorance as a nation. We should shift from the English-only approach and find a more positive change for all people —English-only laws unveil no benefits, they just expose intolerance.

Reach Morgan at mptanabe@asu.edu

×