Water polo coach strives to keep building

WaterPolo_1.21-WEB
PREPPING THE TEAM: Coach Todd Clapper looks on during the ASU women's water polo practice. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

The dawning of the spring semester brings a new season for ASU coach Todd Clapper and the ASU water polo team.

Clapper begins his 5th year as coach of the No. 8 Sun Devils (0-0). Under Clapper’s leadership, the team finished 2009 with a 13-15 record and No. 10 in the final Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA) rankings.

The CWPA positioned the Sun Devils at No. 8 in their women’s varsity water polo rankings heading into this 2010 season.

While this is his 5th year as a Sun Devil, Clapper has worked as a college head coach for 11 seasons. Prior to his tenure as ASU coach, Clapper previously served as coach of Brown University’s women’s and men’s water polo teams. He recently coached the New Zealand National Team as well.

The Sun Devils dive into a new season this coming weekend when they travel to Irvine, California for the UCI/Bakersfield Mini Tournament where they will face stiff competition from No. 17 Cal St. Bakersfield, No. 16 Long Beach State, and No. 9 UC Irvine.

The State Press had the chance to sit down with Clapper to discuss the 2010 season and his No. 8 ranked team.

State Press: With the team finishing 13-15 last season, how do you look to build off that and experience even more success this season?

Todd Clapper: We felt like last year was a pretty disappointing finish to our season. Injuries in key positions took us down. We still had a good year, but it was not up to expectations. This year we are deeper, and a lot faster than we have ever been, and we are much better prepared because of our depth. The practices have been very competitive, and the personality of the team is fantastic.

SP: The Sun Devils are ranked 8th in the 2010 CWPA Women’s Varsity Top 20, and people are noticing your team. What are your expectations this season for your 8th ranked squad?

TC: Ultimately our sights are on the NCAA championships, and we feel we can get better each day. We want to compete from the start whistle to the end and the talent and effort level is there.

SP: With top scorer (junior attacker) Lynlee Smith returning this season, what role do you see her taking on the team?

TC: She is a good lefthander, good speed, and has experience here and internationally. With new players we will have a much more balanced scoring attack.

SP: There are 13 underclassmen and 8 upperclassmen currently on the team roster. How do you look to incorporate the underclassmen into contributing to the team and to build for the future?

TC: We have players who kept things a little slower for them. We have created situations for players where there is less pressure and to put them in the best position down the road. We have a big group of young players leading the team up and down the pool as well.

SP: How has the team prepared for the upcoming tournament against Cal State Bakersfield, Long Beach State, and UC Irvine?

TC: It is a challenging day, three games, and it will challenge our depth. Movement offensively and good defense are our biggest focuses between now and then. We are still working on our game so we can be better about ourselves.

SP: What can fans and opponents expect from the 2010 ASU water polo team?

TC: It is a very exciting team to watch. First, our transition offense is stronger than it has ever been. Secondly, our defense is the best it has ever been, and thirdly scoring will be coming from all different people and places.

Reach the reporter at gjdillar@asu.edu

×