Police Beat — March 1

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

• A 32-year old man was arrested at Wal-Mart at 1380 W. Elliot Road on Thursday on suspicion of shoplifting and possession of dangerous drugs, and for a warrant for possession of narcotic drugs, police reported.
  • The man was observed leaving the store with multiple items without paying for them, according to a police report.

A body search revealed a small clear plastic bag containing a white substance believed to be methamphetamine, according to a report.

The man admitted to ownership of the bag and confirmed its contents to be methamphetamine, police reported.

He was taken to Tempe City Jail, booked and released pending charges, according to a report.

• A 22-year-old man was arrested Friday at 11:30 a.m. for allegedly taking the identity of his brother, according to a police report.
  • The man reportedly used his brother’s information to avoid being arrested on outstanding warrants, police reported.

He was transported and booked to Tempe City Jail, according to a report.

• A 24-year-old woman was arrested Friday at 605 S. Mill Ave. on suspicion of public consumption, according to a police report.
  • The woman was observed drinking what investigation revealed to be an alcoholic beverage while walking down Mill Avenue, according to a report.

A background check revealed the woman had an outstanding warrant for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, police reported.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail and held to see a judge, according to a report.

• A 22-year-old man was arrested Tuesday for failing to provide proper identification when stopped for speeding at South Mill Avenue and West Curry Road, according to a police report.
  • At the time of arrest, the man had no identification on him and no records could be found under the provided name, police reported.

The man was taken to Tempe City Jail where further investigation revealed his true identity, including an outstanding warrant, according to a report.

He admitted to the lie and was rebooked on Wednesday under the correct name for the original charge, providing false information and the outstanding warrant, according to a report.

Reports compiled by Katie Shoultz. Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×