ASU diving dominates at Pac-10 Championships

Junior Chris Pasanella at practice last week preparing for the Pac-10 Championships. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

The ASU diving team crushed the competition in the men’s 3-meter at the Pac-10 Championships in Federal Way, Wash. on Thursday.

ASU freshman Constantin Blaha won first place on the 3-meter with a score of 435.55. For the past eight years a Sun Devil has won the 3-meter at the Pac-10 Championships.

“He was just a step better than everyone else in his performance,” ASU diving coach Mark Bradshaw said. “It was a great win for him because it was his first time in this environment.”

ASU junior Cameron Bradshaw placed second in the 3-meter with a score of 389.85.

“Cameron getting second was a bit of a surprise, not entirely to me because he’s been working hard all season,” Bradshaw said. “A couple guys faltered and he seized the opportunity.

Freshman Riley McCormick placed fourth on the 3-meter with a score of 381.20, narrowly missing out on third place behind Stanford’s Brent Eichenseer with a score of 382.00.

Blaha finished second on the 1-meter (404.7), while McCormick placed fifth on the 1-meter (364.95).

McCormick won first place on the men’s platform with a score of 476.80, which broke the Pac-10 record.

“Riley was rock solid in his springboard diving, and he stepped up on the platform,” Bradshaw said. “He lit it up.”

Sophomore Elina Eggers had first-, second- and third-place finishes this weekend for the women’s team.

“She performed well in her off events,” Bradshaw said. “It showed her all-around athletic ability.”

Eggers took third behind two USC divers in the 1-meter on Friday with a total score of 311.10.  Eggers placed second on the 3-meter, and won first on the platform with a score of 308.75.

“This is what I expected her to do, and she did it,” Bradshaw said.

The ASU women’s swimming team finished in sixth place at the Pac-10 Championships in Long Beach, Calif., with a score of 635.5.

Sophomore Rebecca Ejdervik was the lone ASU swimmer to win an event, as she took first place in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:00.06.

ASU senior Jamie Martinez placed fifth in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 53.65.

Sophomore Jordyn Green placed seventh in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:01.87) and sixth in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:11.86).

The ASU 200-yard freestyle relay of junior Katie Haron, senior Ashley Evans, senior Sara McDaniel and junior Samantha Caldwell team placed fifth with at time of 1:32.55.

Reach the reporter at nicole.klauss@asu.edu

×