Even if the last time you saw Mill Avenue was through unfocused eyes in the wee hours of a weekend morning, you may still remember the empty storefronts and “For Lease” signs dotting the street.

Mill Avenue has been a historic hub of activity in downtown Tempe, attracting many ASU students, but that hasn’t prevented empty retail spaces from springing up on the street. Still, employees of the Downtown Tempe Community are optimistic that the area will be fully leased within the next few months.

If they are looking for ideas, we have a few suggestions for the type of businesses we’d like to see move to Mill Avenue.

A nap studio: Kindergarten may have been a long time ago, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need our quiet time to recharge in the middle of the day. Studies — and common sense — show that napping can increase productivity, so why not capitalize on the idea and set up a nice place to snooze right near campus?

A community playground: But not just any kind of playground — one with trampolines and Velcro walls. And after you’re done finding your inner child, you can head over to the nap studio for some well-deserved sleepy time.

An old-fashioned soda shop: Chocolate malts and vanilla shakes? Root beer floats and Shirley Temples? What a delicious way to spend a break between classes. Free parking: Stimulate the economy by letting people park without fear of the meter running out. Economic brilliance.

A chocolate shop: What’s bad about chocolate except the fact that there is not enough of it?

A neighborhood grocery store: Safeway and Bashas’ are fine, but wouldn’t a little independent store with fresh fruits and vegetables add a little quaintness to the charm of Mill Avenue? Changing Hands: On the independent note, Changing Hands Bookstore should make a comeback on the street. Now that big chain Borders is out of commission, Mill needs a cute place to peruse the works of literary geniuses.

A joke shop ala Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes: Who doesn’t want to eavesdrop on someone with the help of Extendable Ears? Even a Muggle shop would suffice, although a magical one would be preferable.

Street vendors: Tempe lacks a certain big-city vibe, but add a few taco and hotdog stands and bam! — Tempe just became NYC. Not really, but there would be more places to get a quick, yummy bite to eat. Abandoned towers: Tempe is lacking a skyline — a U.S. Airways building and “A” Mountain don’t really cut it in terms of being epic. Tempe could definitely benefit from a few tall, unfinished apartment buildings. Oh … maybe not.

×