Community economics

As our nation continues to look to Capitol Hill for relief from our economic woes, we shouldn’t lose sight of the fact that economic recovery will begin with the small businesses operating in our own neighborhoods. You know us. We not only make a living in your community but also are an integral part of your community. And when we’re not providing the goods and services you need, we’re sitting beside you at school and other civic meetings, little league games, or your place of worship. Small business is a major economic driver that has propelled the economy out of recessions many times in the past. It is often described as the backbone or the engine of the economy — a fact we all should consider when making buying decisions. Even though we are all trying to do more with less and make our dollars stretch further than ever, we can take comfort in knowing that when we spend those precious dollars at local small businesses, we are helping to prime the pump that will get our economy flowing again. Think of it as a local investment with national and even global, implications. MSNBC executive business editor Martin Wolk once wrote, “There is something magical, almost mythical, about small business in America.” It’s a nice sentiment, and we are proud to represent the entrepreneurial spirit of America and the 27 million entrepreneurs who are helping to get this economic engine back on track. We thank you for your continued support and look forward to the day when the topic of conversation is other important matters—like the weather. Pete and Ginger Kuzo

Owners, The UPS Store Tempe, AZ

×