Letters to the editor: March 23

Tuition integrity obliterated

As a graduate of Arizona State University, I was pleased when one of my children told me he has a substantial interest in attending ASU. However, after reading the tuition increase article, I will strongly attempt to dissuade him from this course of action. Not because of the cost per se, but because of the lack of integrity by the board of regents in passing the tuition predictability commitment, and then completely obliterating it three years later.

The disingenuous “surcharge” as an additional mechanism to increase tuition is a cynical ploy. At least call it by its true name, please.

These maneuvers and the comments by President Michael Crow suggest that an accurate characterization of his New American University is not so much entrepreneurial as speculative, particularly for the stakeholders apparently most financially exposed (and apparently deemed responsible) when the bottom line is not as predicted — that is, the students and their parents.

Bruce S. Fogas Alumni

Food fight

(In response to Robbie Pfeffer’s March 10 comic, “Tom’s Vietnam style hot dogs now with more dog!”)

You must know why this is wrong.

Any variation of this joke aimed at Muslims, Mexicans, Africans or Jews would be seriously offensive, but Asians, specifically the Vietnamese, seem to be on the “okay list.”

Thanks, lets keep celebrating diversity at our University.

Let’s get a joke in on the next issue about kids with red hair and freckles. I’m sure no one, not even the writer of “Clearly Confused,” will have a problem with that.

Charles Grinstead Undergraduate

×