Young Democrats hold USG candidate debate

PUBLIC FORUM: State Representative David Schapira asks the USG candidates about their stance on Prop. 105 and its affects on higher education during the ASU Young Democrats' forum on friday afternoon at Discovery Hall. The forum allowed the candidates the opportunity to discuss their platforms and answer questions presented by the public. (Photo by Serwaa Adu-Tutu)

ASU’s Young Democrats hosted a forum on Friday for the Undergraduate Student Government presidential candidates to present and defend their platforms in preparation for the April 6 and 7 elections.

The forum allowed each ticket two minutes for an opening statement and introduction, followed by a question-and-answer session for all candidates and a two-minute closing statement for each ticket.

“We’re hosting this forum because we think it’s important students be involved in any democratic process, including those on campus,” said Young Democrats President Erica Pederson. “USG controls a lot of students’ funds, but voter turnout has been low in the past.”

According to Associated Students of Arizona State University election director Scott Tippett, about 3,500 students voted in the USG presidential general election last year — less than 10 percent of undergraduate students on the Tempe campus.

More than 100 people attended the forum, including Young Democrats members, executives from multiple student organizations and other students interested in hearing what the candidates had to say.

With the exception of one ticket, vice-presidential running mates were also in attendance to help field questions.

Questions from the audience voiced a wide variety of concerns, requiring the candidates to speak on topics ranging from the DREAM Act and propositions affecting higher education to how the ticket would address LGBTQ services and awareness during its term.

The biggest question of the day was how each ticket planned to address and fight tuition and fees increases.

All four candidates spoke of the importance of working with the state Legislature and ASU to regulate tuition.

“Every single year, K-12 education and healthcare (funding) gets protected, but tuition doesn’t,” industrial engineering senior and presidential candidate Sharvil Kapadia said. “I want to work with (ASU President Michael) Crow and organizations around the state to make sure it becomes a reality for every student to get an education for as free as possible.”

Political science junior and presidential candidate Brendan Corrigan in particular was questioned about his plans to keep his campaign promises while staying under budget.

“A large portion of our platform is reallocating funds to things that are going to enhance your experience here at ASU,” he said. “We’ve checked our facts with appropriate administration and are confident we can come in under budget.”

Presidential candidates Jacob Goulding and Athena Salman said their campaigns are focusing on small changes that will benefit a greater number of students rather than large, potentially costly changes that affect only select students.

“I feel we have the most well-rounded platform that offers small changes, but large impacts, for everyone,” said Goulding, a business sophomore. “Our ticket is an open book — you can come talk to us about any issue … and we will be willing to listen and make your concerns our priorities.”

Salman, an economics and political science junior, said addressing students’ concerns at the forum exemplifies the face-to-face communication she hopes to maintain throughout her term if elected.

“This is my favorite part of the campaign — getting out and talking to students to see what your concerns are,” Salman said. “It’s been a wonderful opportunity for each of us to share our platform and share our vision.”

Business communications freshman Lexi Pitt attended the debate unaware that it would be held during the Young Democrats meeting.

“I’m actually here for the Young Democrats meeting, but I’m really glad I got to hear this because now I have an idea of the tickets’ platforms, which I didn’t (have) before” she said. “I feel much more knowledgeable now.”

While she didn’t know who she planned to vote for before the meeting, Pitt said the debate helped her decide.

The Young Democrats will vote to endorse one candidate or stay neutral at their next meeting this Friday, Pederson said.

Arizona Rep. David Schapira, D-Tempe, who is an ASU Young Democrats supporter, was in attendance and said he was impressed with the candidates’ knowledge of legislation affecting higher education.

“You can tell they have done some research,” he said. “All I can say is I hope whoever is elected will be as active fighting for students at the state Legislature as the current administration.”

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×