ASU self-imposes baseball sanctions, team vacates 44 wins

UNDER FIRE: Former ASU baseball coach Pat Murphy addresses the media in Tempe last spring. The baseball program was sanctioned Wednesday for alleged violations during Murphy’s tenure. (Photo by Serwaa Adu-Tutu)

ASU announced self-imposed sanctions on its baseball program on Wednesday. The penalties stem from an investigation — first by the school in accordance with the Pac-10 and then by the NCAA — that has spanned more than two years.

The investigation found the program made about 500 impermissible phone calls during a five-year stretch (2004-2009) to prospective student athletes, violating the one-call-per-week rule. The investigation also determined that an “impermissible recruiter” was on staff with the program and involved with the recruiting of student-athletes.

As a result of the sanctions, ASU will vacate 44 of 49 wins from the 2007 season, the year it won the first of back-to-back-to-back conference titles. Penalties also include

the prohibiting of recruiting phone calls in July 2010 and July 2011. Official baseball prospect visits in the 2010-2011 year will be reduced from 25 to nine.

“Arizona State University remains committed to maintaining the highest standards of integrity in its athletics programs,” Athletic Director Lisa Love said in a statement. “ASU baseball, in particular, based on a remarkable, competitive heritage has the unique potential to be exemplary on and off the field.”

The program will also reduce the number of scholarships by two “at the earliest opportunity but no later than the 2011-2012 academic year.”

ASU is expected to meet before the NCAA Committee on Infractions in August, which could levy further penalties.

This season’s team, which is ranked No. 1 with a 31-4 record, will not be affected by the sanctions and the penalties will have no bearing on any of ASU’s other sports programs.

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu

×