ASU Police honors force, community members

ASU Police honored civilians and members of the police force Monday night in its annual awards ceremony.

ASU Assistant Police Chief Jay Spradling hosted the ceremony in the trophy room of the Karsten Golf Course in Tempe.

Cpl. Patrick Lindbergh, who passed away in February after battling cancer, was awarded the “Sworn Employee of the Year” award by the department.

“He was clearly an informal leader within the department,” Spradling said.

Lindbergh’s family was present to accept his award, as well as an award for spending 10 years on the ASU Police force and a memory book put together by employees.

The “Chief’s Citation” award was given to Assistant Police Chief Allen Clark for his public safety effort during President Barack Obama’s visit during the spring 2009 commencement ceremony.

Other police awards included both Sgt. Michele Rourke and Sgt. Daniel Macias as recipients of “Supervisor of the Year.”

Civilian award recipients included a pair of girls, ages 7 and 8, who led police to the arrest of four suspects in the vandalism of a Mesa elementary school in January.

Police Aide Cory Polak received an award for “Civilian Employee of the Year,” the first police aide assigned to the investigation department.

Civilian awards included a pair of ASU students — Adam Pagano and Marco McKay — who helped notify police and identify a suspect related to multiple bike thefts, and a man who helped ASU Police with public safety technology issues.

Four women were also recognized for the first year of the ASU Police Department’s Volunteers in Policing (VIP) program. These women were responsible for 439 volunteer hours in 2009, which equates to a donation of nearly $11,000 in labor costs, Spradling said.

ASU Police also recognized six men and women for their contributions toward the department’s 2009 Christmas toy drive, providing presents for 14 families, and another 24 children through a partnership with the Scottsdale Police Department.

“Each year our partnership strengthens with the community,” Spradling said. “I appreciate all you do.”

Reach the reporter at mhendley@asu.edu

×