Chaney, Trice shine in track’s final home meet

OVER THE WALL: Sophomore pole vaulter Cara Carpenter makes it over the pole during the Baldy Castillo Invitational in March. Carpenter was one of many Sun Devils that starred at the Sun Devil Open, winning the pole vault by reaching 3.77 meters (12-04.50 feet). (Photo by Scott Stuk)

ASU senior sprinters Jasmine Chaney and Lawrence Trice don’t have much time left in their collegiate careers.

They made sure their final home meet was one to remember.

Chaney was victorious in four events this weekend, while Trice won one at the Sun Devil Open, the final home meet of the season for the ASU track and field teams.

Chaney swept the short sprints, taking the 100-meter dash in 11.56 seconds, which is a career personal-best. She also won the 200-meter dash in 23.58 and ran on both relays, although ASU was the only team entered in each race.

Chaney, who has mainly hurdled and contributed on the relays, said she was ecstatic with her performance Saturday.

“I’m really happy with how I finished,” Chaney said of her 100-meter race. “It was a lifetime-best and I was excited about it.”

ASU coach Greg Kraft said he was impressed with Chaney’s efforts in her final home meet.

“She hasn’t sprinted much,” Kraft said. “But every time she has, it’s been eye-opening.”

Trice, the top short-sprinter for the Sun Devil men, also flashed his speed by winning the 100-meter dash in 10.44 seconds. He then came back and placed second in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.18 seconds, a career-best.

“It was one of the most relaxed races I’ve had,” Trice said of his 100-meter race. “But I wanted to go a bit faster.”

Six other Sun Devils were also victorious on Saturday, including ASU freshman multi-event athlete Keia Pinnick, who recorded a personal-best time of 59.44 seconds to win the 400-meter hurdles.

Other Sun Devil women winners were sophomore Samantha Henderson, who reached 1.65 meters (5-05.00 feet) in the high jump, and sophomore Cara Carpenter, who cleared 3.77 meters (12-04.50 feet) in the pole vault. ASU senior distance runner Chelsea Caloia won the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 11:33.10.

For the Sun Devil men, two other athletes took first-place besides Trice, both coming in field events.

ASU sophomore thrower Marc Peck won the javelin with a toss of 62.50 meters (205-01 feet), while senior jumper Jeremy Egboro was victorious in the triple jump with a mark of 14.73 meters (48-04.00 feet).

Meanwhile, a handful of Sun Devil throwers competed at the Triton Invitational in La Jolla, Calif. ASU senior thrower Ryan Whiting took first in the shot put with a heave of 21.26 meters (69-09.00 feet), while freshman Jordan Clarke was second with a throw of 18.18 meters (59-07.75 feet).

The Sun Devils will head down to Tucson next weekend for the Double Dual against UA and NAU.

Reach the reporter at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×