Letters to the Editor: April 19

Wrong idea on immigration

(In response to the April 15 editorial, “Wrong turn on immigration.”)

In the editorial I read a statement that actually made me laugh out loud. It read, “It should be up to Congress, the White house and the Department of Homeland security to take the lead on immigration, not state legislators.”

I don’t know where the person(s) writing this has been the last few years but the federal government has tried to solve the immigration problem (among the many problems) for many years now, and has drastically failed. Our federal government has shown its ineffectiveness at solving country-wide problems and it has now come down to the states to act as it was intended when our country was created.

Now I’m not saying I agree 100 percent with the bill being proposed but it’s good to see that the states are realizing they need to step up their governmental work when Capitol Hill is doing absolutely nothing. I will find this [letter] amazing if it shows up in The State Press, seeing as I don’t turn to the federal government every time something wrong happens.

Brandon Monnett Undergraduate

Missing the big picture?

(In response to Kylie Heaton’s April 15 letter, “Missing the message.”)

You act as if you are analyzing the situation in a vacuum without considering all the other factors involved — essentially acting to revise history just as Chomsky and Finkelstein are infamous for doing.

If the event were a single event not correlated with other activities strategically developed for the purpose of delegitimizing Israel’s right to exist, then the claim against screaming “anti-Semitism!” might be accurate.

However, this stunt is well documented to be part of a much larger, overall goal which starts with the false comparison between Israel and Apartheid South Africa.

When you have a chance, please educate yourself on the issue by visiting CAMERA’s (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America) website about “Israeli Apartheid Week.”

You can also educate yourself about Chomsky and Finkelstein by searching CAMERA’s website and the Anti-Defamation League's website.

Jonathan Steiner Alumnus

×