Marketing junior balances school during the day, skateboarding at night

HIGH FLYIN': Derek Tracy competes in this year's Phoenix AM Skateboard competition in Peoria Saturday afternoon. (Photo by Nikolai de Vera)

On top of classes and tests, business entrepreneurship and marketing junior Derek Tracy also worries if he’s going to land the next big trick.

Tracy was a competitor in this year’s 9th annual Phoenix AM, an amateur skateboard competition hosted by Vans shoes and Cowtown Skateboards at Rio Vista Park in Peoria this weekend. He was in the qualifying rounds but didn’t make finals.

It was the first time Tracy competed in the Phoenix AM, because he has been injured or unable to attend in past years.

“I started skateboarding when I was in seventh grade,” Tracy said.

Tracy competed with 158 other skateboarders from across the world, from Brazil and Australia to California, Arizona and other U.S. states.

Skaters who are in the competition have to be signed up by their sponsors.

Tracy is sponsored by DVS, a skateboard shoe company, as well as Vitamin Water and Industrial Rideshop.

On Saturday, the competition was a series of six “jam sessions” in seven different heats. In each jam session, four skateboarders skate for four minutes and show off their best tricks. Tracy was in heat three.

The competition started at 10 a.m. and went until 6 p.m.

Robert Mazer, a business administration and civil engineering senior who attended the event, said he has been to Phoenix AM for the past four years.

“You get to see a lot of the cool skaters you see on skate videos in person. It’s just once a year and its pretty fun to go to,” Mazur said.

Though Tracy didn’t make it to the finals, he has his heart set on making his skateboard company, New Ends Skateboards, the next big thing.

“I started it when I was in elementary school and I had the idea. In high school, I blossomed that idea and then I started making my own skateboards and apparel,” Tracy said.

His skateboard decks and apparel have been sold at Cowtown Skateboards and the Industrial Rideshop Web site.

Tracy said he fits skateboarding in around school to create a good balance.

“I skate and film at night,” he said.

Tracy started skateboarding seriously in high school and got a spot during his senior year in the video by independent filmmaker Buster O’Shea called “Happy Medium.”

In the video, Tracy skates alongside Aaron “Jaws” Homoki, Ryan Lay and other skateboarders.

“When we had the premiere, it was out of control,” Tracy said. “We literally sold out. People were pushing to get in.”

Right now, Tracy has been filming a new video at locations in California, New Mexico and Arizona, which will be released in a few months.

Reach the reporter at mpareval@asu.edu

×