Pac-10 softball preview: Washington and UA the best

(Photo by Scott Stuk)
(Photo by Scott Stuk)

After one week of Pac-10 softball, no team is without a conference loss. Seven of the conference’s eight teams are ranked in the top 25, and the only team not ranked is still over .500.

As the nation’s elite battle for a trip to Oklahoma City for the Women’s College World Series, Pac-10 play will serve as an opportunity for the true contenders to emerge.

No. 1 Washington (30-3, 2-1 Pac-10)

Perhaps the nation’s most dominant pitcher, senior Danielle Lawrie leads the Huskies with a 20-1 record and a 0.94 ERA. Lawrie is the biggest reason UW is No. 1, as she also leads the team in RBI (40) and home runs (11) while hitting .337.

UW is often criticized for having a weak offense beyond Lawrie, but three other Huskies have 27 or more RBI.

Where UW could suffer is pitching depth. Lawrie can’t start three games every weekend, and it will be crucial to win the games she doesn’t start.

For now, UW is deservingly the nation’s top team.

No. 2 UA (30-4, 2-1)

With a potent offense that leads in the nation in scoring and one of the Pac-10’s best pitchers in freshman Kenzie Fowler (20-2, 0.86 ERA), UA is the real deal.

Fowler’s weakness is walks. She walked nine batters against ASU last week but was able to get a win (her first of two on the weekend) as her offense posted 12 runs. That many walks will likely catch up with her, as most Pac-10 will take advantage of free baserunners.

The Wildcats take on UW in Seattle this weekend and the series could shake up the top of the national rankings and a Pac-10 favorite may emerge.

No. 11 Stanford (27-5, 2-1)

Taking two games from Cal was a good way to start conference play, and the Cardinal get another favorable matchup this weekend against Oregon State. The true test will come the following weekend when they travel to Tucson to take on a UA team that may be No. 1 in the nation by then.

Freshman pitcher and sister of Heisman Trophy finalist Toby, Teagan Gerhart has dazzled in the circle, compiling a 20-4 record with a 1.36 ERA. She should do well in Pac-10 play, but she could come down a bit as she sees some of the nation’s best offenses.

In the end, though, the Cardinal’s mild nonconference schedule could hurt them in conference play.

No. 21 Oregon (26-6, 2-1)

There’s no doubt that UO has a talented squad, but it could be a bit of an illusion. The Ducks have played just one ranked team, they but have managed to climb into the rankings.

The UO pitching staff has been impressive, compiling a 1.38 team ERA, but it’s also been inconsistent at times.

Freshman outfielder Samantha Pappas is turning heads with her Pac-10 leading .500 batting average, nine home runs and 34 RBI, but being dead last in Pac-10 scoring may keep UO from finishing in the top half of the Pac-10.

No. 10 Arizona State (32-6, 1-2)

After dropping two games to UA, the Sun Devils need to regroup before a tough road series at UCLA.

The ASU offense remains one of the best in the nation behind the bats of sophomores Katelyn Boyd and Annie Lockwood, and senior Caylyn Carlson, but pitching has been inconsistent.

Ace sophomore Hillary Bach has gotten off to a good start but struggled against UA, allowing 11 runs. Senior Megan Elliott has had trouble limiting runs, as she currently holds a 3.55 ERA.

For ASU to make a fifth consecutive WCWS appearance, stronger pitching will be crucial.

No. 5 UCLA (27-6, 1-2)

With depth on its pitching staff and a capable offense, UCLA has a real chance at winning the Pac-10.

The Bruins sport a 1.35 team ERA, second-best in the Pac-10, and junior Donna Kerr is striking out 9.2 batters per game. Sophomore Aleah Macon is 8-1 in nine starts with a Pac-10-best 0.81 ERA.

After totaling just four runs in three games against UW over the weekend, it looks like offensive production could be a challenge in Pac-10 play. UCLA has struggled to score runs against good teams all season. Now that they play a good team almost every week, it only gets tougher.

No. 14 California (29-8, 1-2)

Cal is a dangerous team because of its ability to play small ball.

The team leads the Pac-10 in stolen bases per game, and sophomore Jamia Reid is the conference’s most prolific base stealer, with 39 stolen bases in 44 attempts. The Bears’ ability to move runners should create much-needed scoring opportunities in conference play.

Junior Valerie Arioto has stood out on offense with a .346 batting average, nine home runs and 28 RBI, but Cal’s .290 team batting average is worst in the Pac-10.

The team will need better offensive production all around to back up a Pac-10-best 1.31 team ERA.

Oregon State (20-16, 1-2)

The fact that the Pac-10’s worst team is still over .500 says a lot about the quality of the conference. OSU could probably win a lot of other conferences, but its reality is the Pac-10 cellar.

The Beavers have shown signs of a winner, including a 7-6 win against Oregon over the weekend, but they haven’t been able to consistently produce the runs needed to win games.

Sophomore pitcher Paige Hall has gone 14-13 so far with a respectable 2.88 ERA, but she hasn’t gotten the offensive backing a pitcher needs.

Don’t expect to see OSU in the postseason this year.

Reach the reporter at tlockman@asu.edu

×