Annual Pat’s Run draws record 28,000

HONORING NO. 40: Runners decked out in their "6th Anuual Pat's Run" T-shirts start the 4.2 mile Run/Walk on the ASU campus Saturday morning. (Photo by Molly Smith)

A record 28,000 people showed up in the cool, early morning Saturday to participate in the sixth annual Pat’s Run to honor ASU alumnus and former Arizona Cardinal Pat Tillman.

This year’s run had the largest turnout yet. Pat’s Run and the Pat Tillman Foundation raise money for educational scholarships according to the official Pat’s Run website.

Heather Schader, spokeswoman for the foundation, said the event had no specific monetary goal, but active fundraising is welcomed.

The run began at 7 a.m. and was 4.2 miles long, and participants ran in honor of Tillman, whose Cardinals jersey number was 42.

The children’s race was .42 miles.

The run started in the parking lot at Packard Stadium, went around Tempe Town Lake and the Mill Avenue bridge, and finished in Sun Devil Stadium.

“Without being an ASU-run event, it is very [ingrained] into ASU,” Schader said.

Runners finished on the 42 yard line of Sun Devil Stadium.

Pat’s Run is a very unique event, celebrating what Tillman means to ASU and Arizona in general, Schader said.

After September 11, 2001, Tillman and his younger brother joined the Army to serve their country.

Tillman turned down a three-year, $3.6 million contract with the Cardinals to join the military. Tillman spent a year in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom and then was deployed to Afghanistan for Operation Enduring Freedom.

Tillman was killed in action by friendly fire on April 22, 2004.

The Pat Tillman Foundation was founded after his death.

Anyone can participate in Pat’s Run without having fundraising obligations, but donations are welcome, Schader said.

“We have a program called Team Tillman, where people can actually actively fundraise to reach certain set goals,” she said.

At the end of the race, the ASU football team was waiting at the 42-yard line, each wearing a Tillman’s jersey.

Lisa Potter, an education senior, ran for the first time this year and was amazed by the turnout.

“It was really overwhelming being surrounded by so many people,” she said.

Potter had friends who were running for the first time this year as well, which she said is why she decided to run.

“It brings a lot of people together,” she said. “There were little kids, older people, the military and football players.”

Potter said she is considering running in next year’s event, even though she plans to graduate in May.

“It would be worth it to come down and do it again,” she said.

Joe Whitener, a December marketing graduate, ran this year for the fourth time and said outside the charitable benefits, the run helps keep him in shape.

“I’ve been doing this since freshman year,” he said. “It’s something I think everyone should do.”

ASU could use some more school spirit, and the run symbolizes what a Sun Devil is, Whitener said.

“It’s a lot of fun,” he said. “Pat seemed like a good guy and we can all learn something from him.”

Vicki and Joe Marretta, a newlywed couple that recently moved to Arizona, attended Pat’s Run on Saturday for the first time.

“We wanted to do a run for a good cause,” Vicki Marretta said. “It’s great that ASU hosts this and [students] should be proud of this school and what Pat Tillman did.”

Ryan Buhl, 33, a Phoenix resident and Army veteran, said he participated in Pat’s Run because he felt it was his duty as a veteran.

“It’s a really good cause,” he said. “There are a lot of people out here and it’s really good see how many people care.”

Reach the reporter at mmbarke1@asu.edu

×