Physical play, mistakes highlight ASU’s third scrimmage

IT'S MINE: ASU freshman safety Shane McCullen intercepts a pass during a spring practice last week. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

There were a variety of sounds coming from Sun Devil Stadium during the ASU football team’s third spring scrimmage on Saturday afternoon.

Helmets and pads were crashing as part of several violent hits that caused plenty of reaction from a crowd filled with fans still decked out in Pat’s Run gear from earlier in the day.

But the sound of whistles also echoed throughout, as the Sun Devils committed several penalties, especially offsides infractions.

Coach Dennis Erickson said the scrimmage was the most physical he’s been a part of at ASU, but mistakes on both sides of the football contributed to a workout that had sloppy moments and mixed results.

“We probably went offsides, what, eight times on defense?” Erickson said. “And then we throw interceptions in crucial situations. That’s what I talked to them about — the most important thing you’ve got to know, and it’s an emphasis, is create turnovers on defense and don’t turn the ball over, particularly going down in the red zone. Those are all things that are correctable.”

Both junior quarterback Steven Threet and sophomore Brock Osweiler were intercepted by junior safety Eddie Elder close to the red zone (Elder also dropped a third pick), and redshirt freshman Anthony Jones had a 28-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown when he scooped up a screen pass behind the line of scrimmage that fell to the turf.

“It’s not like we’re far off with anything,” Osweiler said of the interceptions. “It’s just a step late, or if I would have thrown a little bit earlier, the receiver would have pushed the safety off. It’s just little things that if we clean [them] up, it’s six points.”

Threet started the scrimmage with the first unit and completed 12 of his 20 passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns, but he played just two series while Osweiler played five. Osweiler, who is competing with Threet for the starting job, connected on 18 of his 27 passes for 147 yards.

The offensive highlight for the Sun Devils was the running game, as the ASU backs combined for 111 yards. Sophomore Cameron Marshall had seven carries for 36 yards, including a two-yard touchdown, while junior James Morrison added 38 yards on six carries.

“The more balanced we are, the more dangerous we’re going to be,” Osweiler said. “To have the passing game go off last week [and] have the running game kind of get kick-started this week, I feel like next Saturday, we’ll really kind of be in a flow to where we need to be for the fall.”

Sophomore running back Jamal Miles also showed his ability to be a versatile offensive threat, gaining 19 yards on the ground and 26 through the air. Most of those yards came on one drive, where he tallied solid yardage on back-to-back runs and then used plenty of shifty moves on a 21-yard screen pass.

“Cameron came in and showed some flashes, and then Jamal showed some flashes,” Erickson said. “You get a combination like that, and it really makes a difference.”

Junior Aaron Pflugrad caught six passes for 50 yards, including a 29-yard touchdown in the middle of the field and an impressive 17-yard reception near the sideline where he spun and broke tackles to gain extra yardage.

“Pflu’s the man — you really can’t say much more than that,” Osweiler said. “You always know he’s going to run a great route, you know he’s going to catch the ball [and] he’s not going to miss his assignment.”

Junior Gerell Robinson had three catches for 31 yards but dropped a sure touchdown on a deep throw on the first play of the scrimmage.

While Elder was making plays in the secondary, Erickson also noted the improved play of the defensive line, which often burst into the backfield.

“We had a better pass rush than we did in the last scrimmage,” Erickson said. “I thought our ends played really well, and then Lawrence Guy, he’s hard to block.”

One other Sun Devil that had a tough day was senior kicker Thomas Weber, who made just one of his six field-goal attempts and missed badly on the majority of his other tries.

“That’s not Tom Weber,” Erickson said. “That’s not like him. He’ll get that straightened out.”

Injury report

Senior offensive lineman Jon Hargis left the scrimmage with a knee sprain, but Erickson said it didn’t appear to be anything serious.

Junior linebacker Brandon Magee also left with a stinger and concussion on the same drive, and his status for the upcoming week of practice is in questionable.

Among those who didn’t participate at all in the scrimmage were junior wide receiver George Bell, sophomore offensive lineman Zach Schlink and senior cornerback LeQuan Lewis.

Junior linebacker Shelly Lyons missed the scrimmage to attend his brother’s wedding.

“I certainly didn’t want his mother mad at me, so I felt that we should go ahead and send him,” Erickson said.

Reach the reporter at gina.mizell@asu.edu

×