Police searching for student missing since Wednesday

HELP FIND DANIEL: Fliers posted for missing ASU student Daniel Heidinger face the intersection of 6th Avenue and Veterans Way, near the light rail where Daniel was last seen. Students with any information related to his disappearance are encouraged to contact the Tempe Police Department. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

Tempe police are looking for any information about an ASU student who has been missing since last Wednesday.

Daniel Heidinger, 22, went missing between 5 and 6 p.m. on Wednesday. He was last seen boarding a westbound light rail train toward Phoenix after leaving his apartment near Fifth Street and Mill Avenue in Tempe, police officials said in a statement.

There are no signs of foul play at this time, police said.

The 5-foot-11-inch economics senior, who is 155 pounds with blue eyes and light brown hair, was last seen wearing a dark sweatshirt and light colored shorts, according to police.

Heidinger’s friend Michael Barulich said most of Heidinger’s belongings were left at his Tempe apartment, including his car, keys and cell phone. Items that haven’t yet been found yet include Heidinger’s driver’s license and passport, he said.

Heidinger’s father, Emil Heidinger, said it is too early to speculate if he might have traveled somewhere.

“Just tell him that we love him,” he said.

James Wees, Heidinger’s employer at Wees Law Firm in Phoenix, said Heidinger’s family is distraught because they don’t have answers.

“All of his family and friends are hoping that this has a positive outcome,” Wees said. “And if he left on his own accord, let him know there is a group of people wanting to hear from him.”

Wees said Heidinger is good-natured, and it would be out of character for him to leave without telling anyone.

Nicole Siqueiros, who used to work with Heidinger at a Phoenix law firm, said he never missed work without a phone call. Siqueiros now works in the same building as Heidinger.

“He had a final the night he went missing,” she said. “It doesn’t make sense that he’d just leave with no contact. I don’t know where people go, but I can’t believe that something happened to make him want to disappear and scare everyone.”

Tempe police are asking anyone with information to call 480-350-8311.

Reach the reporter at kpatton4@asu.edu

×