Politically, last August was memorable because it tarnished the reputation of Democrats. Town hall meetings took place all over the country and were filled with partisan rancor – almost every event escalated into a media circus.

As a result, Congressional Democrats have been hosting fewer town hall meetings lately, according to an article in The New York Times. While party leaders did this to save face, it is not what this country needs right now.

Democracies thrive off the arts of debating and discussing. Democrats should relish in this because, between the two parties, they have the agenda that this country needs right now. They have the wind at their backs.

In his 2010 State of the Union address, which occurred after the election of Sen. Scott Brown, R-Mass., President Barack Obama said, “To Democrats, I would remind you that we still have the largest majority in decades, and the people expect us to solve problems, not run for the hills.” Those on Capitol Hill would be wise to heed the president’s advice, considering the events going on around the country.

An economic crisis highlighted the dangers of unregulated markets. The financial regulatory reform bill that liberals and moderates have supported will bring much more oversight to the derivative industry – a market that played an influential role in the crash of the economy.

It would also create a Consumer Financial Protection Agency to help buyers avoid some of the problems of the financial system like sub-prime mortgages. A final bill is expected to be on the president’s desk by Independence Day.

The natural disaster in the Gulf region right now sheds light on the need for landmark energy legislation. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, otherwise known as the stimulus package, contained $500 million to help train workers for jobs in the renewable energy industry among other expenditures.

The House passed a cap-and-trade bill last June that requires reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and puts a stronger emphasis on renewable energy sources. It provides tools to help businesses transition to cleaner energy. The Senate is following suit by taking up climate change legislation this summer.

How anyone can oppose financial regulatory reform or comprehensive energy legislation seems beyond common sense. We have seen the results of disasters in each industry – why would we want to repeat that?

We have yet to address the contentious, new health care law. If we drop all preconceived notions of it being a socialist piece of legislation or a government takeover, we can realize that individuals can now take calculated economic risks, such as starting a business. They will not be tied to their job because of benefits or one accident away from bankruptcy.

Come November, Democrats can say they secured health insurance for 95 percent of all Americans and that the markets are now safer and more closely regulated. Climate change legislation pending, they may also be able to boast they have taken steps to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and taken the first steps to preventing a catastrophic oil spill from occurring ever again.

All of these things have been accomplished without  much Republican support – Senate Republicans filibustered 80 percent of the major legislation taken up in 2009, according to a Times article. The health care reform bill passed with no Republican votes in either chamber. Only a handful of GOP legislators supported the financial regulatory reform effort.

Democrats should not, as the president said, run for the hills. They should stare their opponents down without flinching. The progressive agenda pursued by this Congress and this administration has placed the power back in the hands of the individual instead of corporate elites.

Reach Andrew at andrew.h.hedlund@asu.edu

×