Linebacker Burfict tabbed preseason All-American

After recording 69 tackles as a freshman, ASU sophomore linebacker Vontaze Burfict has been named a 2010 preseason First-Team All-American by Sporting News. (Photo by Nick Kosmider)

As a freshman, Vontaze Burfict quickly aroused excitement in Tempe with lightning-quick athleticism, bone-jarring hits and a huge on-field persona.

Now, the rest of the country will be taking notice.

Burfict has been named a preseason First-Team All-American by Sporting News and is also on the 2010 watch lists of the Rotary Lombardi Award (best lineman or linebacker) and the Bronko Nagurski Award (best defensive player).

Burfict's 69 tackles (40 solo) were second on the team last season and he played in all 12 games, starting the final nine, on his way to being named Pac-10 Defensive Freshman of the Year. Burfict, who also had two sacks and a pair of forced fumbles and fumble recoveries, also garnered Freshman All-American honors by numerous publications.

Burfict will be a focal point of a defense in 2010 that is expected to once again be among the nation's top units.

Also anchoring that defense will be junior defensive tackle Lawrence Guy, who is one of 63 players on the watch list for the Outland Trophy, an award given to the nation's best interior lineman.

Guy has 81 tackles in his two seasons on the ASU defensive line, including 6 1/2 sacks. He was named to several Freshman All-American teams and was a Pac-10 honorable mention in 2009.

×