“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

Our apologies are extended to those who feel mind-abused by a famous quote-turned-cliché.  But the sentence from Evelyn Beatrice Hall’s “Friends of Voltaire” is the perfect beginning to a new chapter in State Press history.

For the first time, we feel we can relate to the quote’s literal meaning— “to say.”

On July 7, The State Press launched “State Press Weekly,” a new audio program dedicated to bringing news and entertainment to the ears of ASU’s community.  Right now we’re crossing our fingers, hoping we skilled “print-sters” can succeed in the audio world.  Only time will tell.

It just so happens, nearly one week after our inaugural show, the world of sound was hit hard by the unfortunate announcement that talk-show host Michael Savage is still banned from Britain.

According to WorldNetDaily, the conservative radio host, whose syndicated U.S. show reaches millions each week, was told by Britain’s new government his presence in the United Kingdom is still unwanted.

Savage was originally banned from the U.K. in 2009 for being a so-called “hate promoter,” a Los Angeles Times article explained.

According to the U.K. Border Agency, the Home Secretary has the power to exclude or deport people who engage in “unacceptable behavior”—a policy set in place following the 2005 London bombings.

The British government believes Savage, a man who has called the Quran a “book of hate,” could provoke “serious criminal acts” and “inter-community violence” within the U.K.

We at The State Press have not listened to each one of Savage’s programs, nor have some of us even listened to Savage at all. We do not condone calling the Quran a “book of hate,” but, we will stand behind Mr. Savage because he makes a living under the protection of the U.S. Constitution.

Some of us at The State Press hope to do the same.

Freedom of speech is a concept our Founding Fathers learned from the U.K.  Have they forgotten its importance? Unrestrained expression is a pillar of free society.

Apparently, former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, the one who added Savage to the list, had never read “1984.”

Savage is a man who is barred from the U.K. because of what he says and what he believes.

As Americans who have no problem clicking the television off when Michael Moore and Glenn Beck appear, we do have a problem with our government controlling the remote.

We’re not sure if the spoken word is more powerful than what’s in print, but at least The State Press has the right to find out.

Listen to our new audio show, published Wednesday nights, at statepress.com.

×