Q&A with former Sun Devil baseball star Andre Ethier

SPORTS BBN-DBACKS-DODGERS 5 LA
The Los Angeles Dodgers' Andre Ethier (right) watches his three-run home run sail out of the ballpark in the sixth inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks at Dodger Stadium on Tuesday, April 13, 2010. (Luis Sinco/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Former ASU baseball player Andre Ethier has quickly become a star at the major-league level. Ethier, who played two seasons for the Sun Devils (2002-2003), was an offensive machine in Tempe while hitting .377 with 10 home runs and 68 RBIs as a senior.

The 28-year-old from Phoenix was drafted in the second round by the Oakland Athletics in 2003, but was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers two years later. He made his major-league debut in 2006 and has been a mainstay in right field for the Dodgers ever since.

After hitting 31 home runs and driving in 106 runs last season, Ethier exploded onto the baseball scene and was named to his first All-Star game on Sunday.

While the Dodgers were in town against the Diamondbacks over the weekend, Ethier sat down with The State Press to talk about the Sun Devils recent College World Series appearance, the Dodgers’ playoff hopes and playing for Joe Torre.

State Press: Did you get a chance to watch the Sun Devils in the College World Series? What did you think of their performance?

Andre Ethier: Yeah, it was very disappointing. For them to have all the hype like they did all season and to go in and have that kind of showing was kind of a big letdown for the Sun Devil fans. Especially for the program with that being their second trip in a row back to the World Series … they looked a little too relaxed. I think they let that No. 1 (ranking) do the talking for them rather than the Sun Devil tradition.

SP: What do you remember the most about your playing days at Arizona State?

AE: It was fun and great to go to school there where I grew up in town. Playing baseball there was one of the greatest things I have gotten to do. I had a lot of learning experiences and it was my first time being on my own. It was a chance to grow up close to home but far enough away.

SP: Do you still keep in contact with your teammates and coaches from that time?

AE: I keep in contact with quite a few of the players and a couple of the coaches still. You’re always going to be teammates and friends. Everyone is pretty close, almost like family members. You definitely don’t forget about the good times you had at ASU.

SP: With the second half of the season coming up, do you feel this team is confident and primed for another deep postseason run?

AE: We’re always confident. We’re just as confident at the beginning of the year as we are now. We should be able to make a run and get back to the playoffs. Of course people are gunning for us, but we have that preparation knowing it’s a battle every time. We’re looking forward to hopefully bettering our chances to get to the World Series. Two years in a row we’ve been two games away from the World Series and we’re excited with our chances this year.

SP: What is it like playing for Joe Torre, a future Hall of Famer with so many accomplishments?

AE: It’s unbelievable. He’s managed some of the best players in the game over the last 20 years and to be underneath him and have him think you’re a pretty good player is something special. You don’t ever want to let him down because he’s so calm and comforting with his players. He never raises his voice and doesn’t get emotional about anything, and he’s a guy you love playing for.

Reach Eric at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×